WW2 headset ear-cushions question.

Sabrejet

Photographic evidence reveals that a variety of ear-cushion types were used on standard issue AAF headsets during WW2 with perhaps the sponge rubber type being the most common? My question concerns the M-301 "donut" type cushions as shown below. Does anyone know precisely when they entered the inventory? I'm thinking post-war but can't be 100% sure. Obviously, they effectively existed during WW2 as similar cushions were fitted to a variety of flying helmets from '43 on. Thanks!

post-8022-0-64103900-1394009662.jpg

post-8022-0-49809800-1394009664.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

I'd be interested to see a timeline listing when the different models came out but there isn't much info on headsets out there it seems.

The headsets themselves are reasonably easy to date...it's the variety of cushions that were used on them! The basic WW2 style headband was used right through the 50s but the "add-ons" such as the receivers and cushions varied.

I saw a headset with those cushions on it that was dated 1946.

'46? Can you recall where the date was marked? Thanks.

SergeantMajorGray

'46? Can you recall where the date was marked? Thanks.

Sorry by dated I meant the receivers not the cushion.

No probs. The thing is the headsets were assembled from different components, as necessary. The headband was issued in a box. Ditto the receivers. They were then assembled and the cushions added. So, you could have a headband from '42, receivers from '44 and cushions from '45!

SergeantMajorGray

No probs. The thing is the headsets were assembled from different components, as necessary. The headband was issued in a box. Ditto the receivers. They were then assembled and the cushions added. So, you could have a headband from '42, receivers from '44 and cushions from '45!

M1 helmet liners all over again!

My understanding was that the doughnut pads were very late 1944 on. I believe I have seen B-29 footage of guys wearing them. I could be wrong on this though.

Here's an example of a headset in just such a configuration I found on the 'net.

Thumb14405.jpg

Ian,

I have a set just like this.Brand new in the box.(labels peeled of critical data) The pads and jack have NAF #s(pad NAF-48490-1/jack NAF.215285-2. The head bands have the OD and leather 3 snap cover.Made by Perm-o-Flux. Anybody know the time frame when used? Navy or AF or both.

I have a set of these that are like the pair in the first pic with the doughnut type ear cushions and would be very interested to find out when these were used. Mine have the pads marked NAF48490-1 but my jack is marked PL354.

Semper Fi

Phil

• 9 months later...

Awesome pic trubia26. So is there any info on that pic.

Like mentioned above I have a set of these and would really like to know that if I display them I will know they are correct for WW2

Thanks

Semper Fi

Phil