What is this Bolo?

Kelley Huppertz

Kelley Huppertz

I just received a WWI Bolo with a scabord. It was listed as a: US WWI M1917 BOLO TRENCH COMBAT KNIFE & A-K-CO 1918 RHS LEATHER /CANVAS SCABBARD.

I cannot find a bolo that looks like the one I purchased. I cant find it in Coles Best of Book and havent seen one on the internet thats like it. The blade is very close to a M 1917 but it has no markings on it and has a much different handle with no finger groves. The scabbord apears to be a type No. 1 with a makers mark of A-K-Co. 1918 R.H.S. on the leather tip. Does anyone know what this bolo is??? Thanks in advance, Please be kind to the new member/new bayonet & edge wepon colector going through his learning curve.

Kelley

post-151903-0-78162100-1393988119.jpg

BelligerentBlue

Welcome to the forum Kelley. I agree I haven't seen much like that one. But I'm not the most knowledgeable. From this picture, everything from where the blade goes dark to light looks really new to me. I could be wrong as it's only one picture, are you able to add a couple more pictures? There is a lot of knowledge floating around here that can help you out better than I can I'm sure.

It looks like a re-handled Kiffe Repro. I have one with the original plastic grips. They sold in Surplus Stores in the early 70's w/ original WW1 dated M1910/17 scabbards. If you look at the blade, it's not as well finished, or ground, not quite the same as the M1910, or the M1917 Bolos. Check the blade above the guard to see if you can find the Kiffe stamp. Just my guess. SKIP

Kelley Huppertz

Thanks guys. I have attached some more pictures. I cannot find a single marking on this bolo but the blade is very substantial. It seam very old but looks like someone may have cleaned it, wire brushed near the cross guard and reworked the handle like Skip says. Did I get taken? Is this thing worth anything or should I return it and ask for a refund? Thanks again. This is my 1st post and it has been a good experience,

Kelley

post-151903-0-00683100-1394028968.jpg

post-151903-0-07673900-1394028974.jpg

post-151903-0-00404300-1394028981.jpg

post-151903-0-22714700-1394028989.jpg

post-151903-0-36596500-1394028996.jpg

Kelley- Try this site, www.usmilitaryknives.com/bay_points14.htm This will pinpoint info on Kiffe, and just scroll down to the bolo knife. The one pictured is what I have. I believe yours was re-handled and the guard w/ the Kiffe stamp was ground down, and buffed. Book mark the US Military Knives, and Bayonet site. There is volumes of info there, written by the guys on this site. The US military bolos issued before & during WW1 were well marked, on both sides of the blade, and the quality of the steel was better. Still, you have a good functioning tool, w/ an original scabbard. SKIP.

Kelley Huppertz

Kelley- Try this site, www.usmilitaryknives.com/bay_points14.htm This will pinpoint info on Kiffe, and just scroll down to the bolo knife. The one pictured is what I have. I believe yours was re-handled and the guard w/ the Kiffe stamp was ground down, and buffed. Book mark the US Military Knives, and Bayonet site. There is volumes of info there, written by the guys on this site. The US military bolos issued before & during WW1 were well marked, on both sides of the blade, and the quality of the steel was better. Still, you have a good functioning tool, w/ an original scabbard. SKIP.

Kelley- Here's a Kiffe Bolo on ebay. Item #151248067378. It's way over priced in my opinion. This will give you a little more to look at. SKIP

Kelley- Interesting ad in French, actually understood it all. It wouldn't be a big surprise if Kiffe manufactured some of their bolos w/ wooden handles. Not sure if that was a homemade handle or not. The scabbard is the same as mine, a Brauer Bros, dtd 1917. I suspect Kiffe came into a whole lot of scabbards, and made the bolos to sell them with. My Kiffe also had the hole drilled to lock on the scabbard catch. I paid $4.95, new, for the set in 1974. SKIP

Back to your knife, Kelley. IMHO Skip is right. I think it's a Kiffe that was rehandled and had the guard replaced or cut and ground. Hope you didn't pay much for it; a rehandled repop is not worth much. :huh:

GB- That IMA M1917 is unreal!! I guarantee you many of those are being sold as originals. Scary!!! SKIP

GB- That IMA M1917 is unreal!! I guarantee you many of those are being sold as originals. Scary!!! SKIP

You know it! :(