Hollywood Portrayals Of Actual Military Figures

seanmc1114

British actors Tom Baker as Rasputin and Micheal Jayson as Czar Nicholas II in the 1971 major motion picture, Nicholas and Alexandra. (a reverse image unfortunately we see)

post-34986-0-64178700-1412300610.jpg

Didn't post real photos of them to compare, because if you don't know what these two historical charactors looked like, then shame on you :lol:

Micheal Jayson for me always portrayed the most authentic Nicky in any movie, he really resembled him don't you think.

• 4 weeks later...

Another great casting.

The Irish actor Dan O'Herlihy as Marshal Michel Ney in the 1970 movie Waterloo, not only did O'Herlihy resemble Ney, he was around the approximate age of Ney during the battle.

post-34986-0-79219900-1414602501.jpgpost-34986-0-68347700-1414602471.jpg[

For those who recall, O'Herlihy also played U.S. Air Force Brigadier General Warren A. "Blackie" Black in the 1964 Fail Safe, BG Black was the aircraft commander of the bomber that was tasked to drop a Thermouclear Bomb on NYC, in an effort to avoid a Nuclear Holocaust after Moscow is mistakingly destroyed by a TN Bomb.

post-34986-0-33216100-1414603161.jpg

• 6 months later...

Gary Cole as George Armstrong Custer in "Son Of The Morning Star"

Wow I didn't realize Gary Cole played Custer, we're more familiar with he endearing character Bill Lumbergh from the movie Office Space :D

:lol: :lol:

post-34986-0-29675100-1431663158.jpg

• 2 months later...
ustpatcher1a

Some of this Hollywood cast is Ok, some are WAY OFF !

They shape of the face and their eyes...WAY OFF.

It looks like Robert Duvall is becoming the new Charlton Heston for portraying famous people in history so well. Sir Lawernce Olivier was the leader in the day.

Barry Bostwick as George Washington in the CBS mini-series "George Washington"

It's now available on DVD finally, and inexpensive. No joke, when I looked for this around 4 years ago it was unbelievably expensive, something like starting at $100, and that was only the VHS I recall :o .

When it first was released in 2013 on DVD it had some glitches, missing scenes etc.

So it appears if your interested you must get this one, it's a 2014 remastered re release of what is supposed to be the complete series.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MARZSW6/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687462&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B009OE2O70&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1YY14GT4GWKRE82G08PE

I can't get over how much Dan O'Herlihy looks like the painting of Marshal Ney in the "Waterloo" movie. I bought the DVD a couple of years ago and have seen in countless times over the years, but I'd never looked at a painting of the man.

Some of this Hollywood cast is Ok, some are WAY OFF !

Well, it stands to reason that you're not going to find actors who look exactly like their real-life roles.

For example, I couldn't get past the representations of the Mercury 7 astronauts in the current TV series, "Astronaut Wives Club" or the older movie, "The Right Stuff". But the latter movie, while written very differently that Tom Wolfe's excellent book, had very good actors, almost all of whom have had great careers since then. Casting for John Glenn is pretty easy in that you just need a guy with not too many muscles and zero body fat, and blonde hair in a crewcut.

Few historical figures are as easy to match than that.

But none of the other actros really looked much like their real-life counterparts.

Anthony Hopkins as former IDF commander and Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin in the TV movie "Victory At Entebbe"

post-1761-0-77543800-1437169698.jpg

uniformcollector

Lyndon Johnson as President Lyndon Johnson presenting the Medal Of Honor to Forrest Gump

Or Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump as Sammy Davis as Forrest Gump...

ustpatcher1a

George C. Scott as General Patton.

030405-scott.jpg

general-george-s-patton.jpg

The physical casting was very good. However upon doing some research and on seeing the real General Patton speak (newsreel) at Los Angeles Memorial Olympic stadium post war, his high squeeky voice was a shock. But that was said to be true from his biographers. Many said he over compensation for the shrill voice with his over use of cursing and expletives when speaking to the troops. I seemed to work for him. I have visited his two story large mansion ancestral home in San Marino CA that is next (West) to the Huntington Art museum home spacious property. I have yet to visit the Patton desert museum near Victorville CA and the church in San Marino when his family worshipped that has a large church window dedicated to the family. All of his biographies are great reading. There have been two feature films and a couple of TV movies based on this general. .

ustpatcher1a

Tom Selleck seemed an unlikely choice to play Dwight D. Eisenhower in 2004's "Ike: Countdown To D-Day" but it was actually very good.

I vote, "no" on this casting...It didn't work. Selleck was a fine actor in the role.

ustpatcher1a

Henry Fonda as Gen. Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. from "The Longest Day"

I vote, "no" on this casting...It didn't work. Fonda a fine actor in the role. They got the walking stick right.

ustpatcher1a

Errol Flynn as George Armstrong Custer

. I vote, "no" on this casting...It didn't work. Flynn was a fine actor in the role. Wrong eyes here.

I'm a Flynn fan. It was the War Years and Flynn was a hot Warner's star. It's about the tickets sales

ustpatcher1a

Alec Baldwin as Jimmy Doolittle

I vote "no" on this one. Bad casting, but good acting in the role. They miss it in the eyes and mouth.

ustpatcher1a

John Wayne as Genghis Khan

This mis-casting is one of the worst in the history of Hollywood and is often laughed about in trivia circles.

I vote "no" on this one. Bad casting, but good acting in the role. They miss it in the eyes and mouth.

ustpatcher1a

Complete with false chin. Another Hollywood turkey!! :o

In Sir Larry's whole career, he is famous for always doing some 'make-up thing' with his face in any historical role. A nose,chin, neck, hair line or something. This was one of the worst. His 'Henry 5th' his nose is a bad distraction from his good acting...

ustpatcher1a

Great thread.....

Tony Curtis as Ira Hayes in The Outsider

attachicon.gifira hayes.jpgattachicon.giftony curtis outsider.jpg

I vote "no" on this one. Bad casting, but good acting in the role. They miss it in the eyes and mouth. Even with Tony's extra helping of Egyptian brown make-up to darken him for the American native indian role.

ustpatcher1a

Fred MacMurry as Eddie Rickenbacker in "Captain Eddie"

ustpatcher1a

His name was John Doucette.

John%20Doucette%20%20Patton%20(1969).jpgUSA-MTO-Sicily-p94c.jpg