Hollywood Portrayals Of Actual Military Figures

seanmc1114

I am having difficulty with pics, but here are some more ideas. Errol Flynn as Frank Merrill in Objective Burma, Benjamin Bratt as LTC Mucci in The Great Raid, Several renditions of the Tuskegee Airman story with various actors, Martin Sheen as Robert E Lee in Gettysburg as well as Tom Berenger as Longstreet, some other great portrayals in this movie as well as Gods and Generals, Gary Cooper as Dr. Corydon Wassell in the Story of Dr Wassell "Good gravy ;)", and of couse Brad Pitt as Achilles along with the rest of the cast of Troy. Scott.

world war I nerd

ScottG,

Here are some of your selections. I don't know any of the names of the Tuskegee airmen. If you can, please post some names (actual airmen and the actors who played them) and I'll see if I can find them. I also didn't do Achilles because as near as I can tell, he's a character from Greek mythology.

Errol Flynn didn't play General Frank D. Merrill in "Objective Burma, he played a captain whose name I don't know who was loosely based on General Frank D. Merrill. However your post spawned this:

Jeff Chandler as General Frank D. Merrill in "Merrill's Marauders"

post-5143-0-48718000-1394352374.jpg

world war I nerd

I was going to do some of the historical personalities from "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals", but the beards were so bad, I just couldn't do it. Anyway, here's Martin Sheen as Robert E. Lee in "Gettysburg"

post-5143-0-47507700-1394352612.jpg

A couple of actors from the various Tuskegee movies are Terrence Howard, Cuba Gooding, and Laurence Fishburne. As to who they actually played I think one was Benjamin Davis, another may have been Alexander Jefferson but not sure... Great job on the others and I will try to think of more. Scott

world war I nerd

Sabrejet,

You can't quit now. There's still too many to do. I have at least 30 circling the airport as I write this and at least another 10 in mind that I haven't looked for yet. But I must admit my knowledge of historical films is wearing thin.

Gerard Butler as Attila the Hun in "Attila"

post-5143-0-46428700-1394354320.jpg

A female from a Bridge Too Far although not a soldier would be Kate Ter Horst who was still quite the hero, played by Liv Ullman. Seems to me there is a WWI film that depicts Mustafa Kemal as well, but not sure of the actors... Scott.

You could also add Matthew Fox as General Bonner Fellers in The Emperor. The movie Raid on Entebbe features many portrayals of historic figures. Dominic Cooper as Latif Yahia/Uday Hussein in Devils Double. Tom Wilkinson as Lord Cornwallis in The Patriot. I will post more as they come. Scott.

world war I nerd

You were right Scott. There was a Turkish biopic about Mustafa Kemel made in 2010. He's the guy who fought the British and Australian troops at Gallipoli in 1916.

Sinan Tuzcu as Mustafa Kemel 'Ataturk' in "Veda"

post-5143-0-92358300-1394355720.jpg