Hollywood Portrayals Of Actual Military Figures

seanmc1114

As Phillipe Kieffer of the French Commandos as played by Christian Marquand in "The Longest Day".

kieffer_philippe.jpg39360-11422.jpg

Garandomatic

Robert Stack in 1941, as posted above was a darned good facsimile. I think I read where they asked John Wayne to play the part, but he refused because he didn't find much funny about the era.

Robert Stack in 1941, as posted above was a darned good facsimile. I think I read where they asked John Wayne to play the part, but he refused because he didn't find much funny about the era.

Also Charlton Heston was offered the role, he turned it down for the same reasons, but Stack was a great cast, not only did he look like him, buthis performace as Stilwell was humorous, I love the theater scene where he's thoughly enjoying Dumbo, and tearful in that one part, and his irritation when he's disturbed by someone in watching it, "You Down in Front" :lol:

I read somewhere years ago that Heston on seeing the film when it was released like it, and didn't think it bad at all, or unpatrotic etc, no real foul cursing etc,, he likened it to a good old fashion comedy romp.

Kevin...your (current) avatar wouldn't have anything to do with your evident fondness and knowledge of "1941"...would it?! :D

Garandomatic

It has to be one of my all-time favorites, personally. I was about 8 when I first saw it, shortly after reading about Pearl Harbor and seeing the Sentimental Journey for the first time. Ironically, it was the Sentimental Journey, doctored into an earlier model B-17 in the film! I bet my teacher wondered what the hell was wrong with me... I remember we had to write in our journals about something. I wrote about 1941, and how sad I was (in the 2nd grade) that John Belushi had died some 6 years earlier. I WAS Wild Bill Kelso on the playground when I wasn't busy sinking Japanese shipping from a particular piece of playground equipment that sort of had a conning tower.

Kevin...your (current) avatar wouldn't have anything to do with your evident fondness and knowledge of "1941"...would it?! :D

Yeah but I choose Ackroyd by default really, I was looking for Treat Williams' Cpl Sitarski

;)

world war I nerd

Victor Hugo Martin as Fidel Castro in "Fidel" ... And that concludes this portion of SOB (South of the Border) despots.

post-5143-0-77497700-1394339832.jpg

world war I nerd

I know I posted Gary Sinese before, but that was as a WW I Artillery Captain. Here's Gary Sinese as President Harry S. Truman in "Truman"

post-5143-0-29912000-1394341089.jpg