Eliminating stitch and pin holes

TrenchfootJoe66

TrenchfootJoe66

Guys

I want to remove some insignia from a poplin, non rip stop jungle jacket that was decorated with several ridiculous patches. Most likely this was done by a veteran or a really lame reenactor type. I don't think the patches have been on very long and the uniform is in pristine almost unissued condition otherwise. Im hoping that after I remove the bogus patches I might be able to eliminate all or most traces of them. Any suggestions ?

Washing an item will cause the holes to close up. If that's not an option, moisten a cloth with some hot water and dab it around the affected areas. When the fabric dries out the effect will be much the same.

I agree, but I would avoid using soap which might fade the uniform. You might also try steaming it and blocking it to cause the holes to close up.

G

TrenchfootJoe66

Thanks guys. The wise and all knowing wife took care of it last night. After washing it in warm water and then dabbing the stitch holes with very hot water and the allowing it to dry, Viola !! No more holes !!

It would also depend on how long insignias were sewn on these types of light weight cloths, there will always will be marks like outlines were the insignia was sewn, even if the holes close, only on wool can you really obliterate sew holes and there outlines effectively. Then there is ghosting that will be seen with insignias that were sewn on, as these types, Sateen fatiques, Tropical coats, Khaki Cotton Twill shirts etc, not to mention fading from the sun, were types that were routinely machine washed,