How many wings do you have in your collection?

John Cooper

My Wing Collection  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Current Number of Wings I have is

• 1-10
    • 10-25
    • 25-50
    • 50-100
    • 100-200
    • 200-300
    • 300-500+

John Cooper

WOW a few in the 300 to 500+ range I bet I can take a good guess who these guys are!

Here is a follow-up question to the poll do you have a favorite with type (suggested by Robert) i.e. Pilot, Navigator,... or mabybe the gold navy wings..?

Regards,

John

robert60446

Hi John,

This is very hard call to make, but my favorite wings designs are Navy Pilot Wings and USAAC Navigator. However I have to admit I’m really tempted by USA Air Crew and Bomber designs as well… think.gif

John Cooper

I am not sure the AC gets enough attention most likely because I think in most peoples minds it is the lowest level... I have to say I have a post war navy Balfour Medical Wing that is beautiful. I love the rich gold combined with the silver acorn. I have yet to find a nice WW2 one but it is only a matter of time...

John

robert60446
I am not sure the AC gets enough attention most likely because I think in most peoples minds it is the lowest level...

John, I agree in 100%! I think it is because these wings are rather fairly common (in general). I have to admit that I don’t have even one AC example in collection, but this is going to change soon. Some makers designed The Great Seal in beautiful details and for me this makes them very attractive. thumbsup.gif

I sold off the vast majority of my collection about 8 years ago and am down to around 180 or so. My favorites are probably the standard pilot wing and my favorite maker is a close toss up between Firmin and Beverlycraft.

Gary

John Cooper
I dont have a lot,less than 75 and its a smattering of Navy,Air Corps,Paratrooper,Glider etc.

RON

Ron it may be a smattering but they still are nice to see!

John

John Cooper
I sold off the vast majority of my collection about 8 years ago and am down to around 180 or so. My favorites are probably the standard pilot wing and my favorite maker is a close toss up between Firmin and Beverlycraft.

Gary

Gary - if you have the time maybe post an example of each and let us know the specifics of whay you like them.

John

Hi John,

Here is a Firmin wing. I will have to find my Beverlycraft images and I will post one for you then. As for why I like them best it is all about the basic desing. Firmin uses a very pleasing "finely feathered" wing and I like th shape of the radiator brobably best of all. I like the Beverlycraft because of the great amount of detail work they put into the insignia they made. I also rather fancy the palm tree repeated on the backs of their insignia.

post-96-1211676306.jpg

Hi John,

Here is a Firmin wing. I will have to find my Beverlycraft images and I will post one for you then. As for why I like them best it is all about the basic desing. Firmin uses a very pleasing "finely feathered" wing and I like th shape of the radiator brobably best of all. I like the Beverlycraft because of the great amount of detail work they put into the insignia they made. I also rather fancy the palm tree repeated on the backs of their insignia.

post-96-1211676333.jpg

John Cooper

Nice wing Gary thanks fot posting the additional detail shots! Several makers had some very fine feather detailing... I posted one recently I have as yet to ID.

Cheers

John

KASTAUFFER

I put down 25-50 because the only wings I have are in groupings. Most are USN Aviator and USN Combat Aircrew wings. I would love to see a thread devoted to the WWII USN Combat Aircrew Wing !

Kurt

John Cooper
I put down 25-50 because the only wings I have are in groupings. Most are USN Aviator and USN Combat Aircrew wings. I would love to see a thread devoted to the WWII USN Combat Aircrew Wing !

Kurt

I bet if you start it you will get some posts! Love to see them myself.

John

I would pick the Navigator wing as my favorite. Most of my wings are in groupings as well. I've only got around

20-25 wings at the moment. Most are pilots wings, but I have at least a couple of each. I've always thought the

design of the Nav. wings were really neat. Some are better than others of course.

J.D.

John Cooper
I would pick the Navigator wing as my favorite. Most of my wings are in groupings as well. I've only got around

20-25 wings at the moment. Most are pilots wings, but I have at least a couple of each. I've always thought the

design of the Nav. wings were really neat. Some are better than others of course.

J.D.

JD I think you and Robert share the same passion for the NAV wings! Post if you got em! ;)

John

It's funny; at one time, I was around 200+, including the ones in groups. I downsized considerably a few years back to pick up some top end stuff and big groups. I also sold off my Navy wing collection :( ,I even had the Tactical Observer, and a named WWI Navy Balloon pilot half wing .

Right now, I other than the groups, I just keep my favorite example of each type in 3" and 2" (if one exists). Of course I make exceptions to this, particularly when it comes to the theater made stuff (I love the Brit and Aussie made stuff). I have branched off into the more exotic stuff like ATC and training, because, apparently I am crazy :wacko: .

I have a few nice, real examples of WWI wings, but I haven't actively pursued that area recently because of the cost, and the explosion of fakes that can fool the best experts. I have also really started collecting theater made and bullion AAC patches.

My current favorite wings are my ATC Supervisory Pilot , and my Angus & Coote 3"Pilot

post-182-1212076408.jpg

post-182-1212076418.jpg

Paul

John Cooper

Nice wing Paul! I agree with you on the WW1 wings just out of my reach unless I score one at a flea market... As for the Bullion patches I like them but they can be tricky since there are well made fakes that are 30 years old...

John

• 10 years later...

Cool question John,

I hit the 300 -500+ button. As to a favorite, my day one goal has been to acquire all patterns and makers of the basic 1919 through WW2 pilot qualification wing badge. It's an unobtainable goal I'm sure but the search is fun. I'm close but yet so far away; probably farther away than my knowledge allows me to realize. Like the saying goes, just when you think you've seen it all...

As far as my ultimate wing nirvana it's WW1 wing badges..donations gladly accepted :lol:

Steve

I really only collect USN/USMC wings and have around 40 plus three WW2 AAF wings to go with some AAF items I have....

• 1 month later...

I’ve been messing around with a photo editing app and decided to get my as much of my collection onto one collage image as I could. It doesn’t look like many, but there’s about 140/150 represented here:

df2176d5c60b8e41f17dc99b5b3c2fa7.jpg