Shoes. What models?

solcarlus

Bonjour.

I would like to know the model of these shoes.
Thank you

Solcarlus.

post-241-0-81410900-1393854200.jpg

It seems that the shoes have been resoled:

post-241-0-69804200-1393854226.jpg

J HOWARDS & CO. INC.

71/2 A 99796

155-QM-????

post-241-0-40572000-1393854320.jpg

?.Q.M..D

????

post-241-0-49174200-1393854336.jpg

71/2

A U.S.A.

N°360

post-241-0-39444200-1393854900.jpg

world war I nerd

Hi Socarlus,

Here’s a comparison of your shoe (on the right) to the U.S. Army 1914 Russet Leather Shoe and the mysterious 1910 USMC Cordovan Service Shoe. Because of the maroon/purplish color of your shoe, I initially thought it was a USMC style shoe (which I must admit that I know very little about).

Unfortunately, your shoe is similar while at the same time being different.

world war I nerd

Photo No. 01: First row, is the late pattern U.S. Army 1914 Russet Leather Shoe. This shoe was adopted by the Army in 1912, but they did not see issue Army wide until 1914. As near as I can tell it was replaced by a more modern style of russet leather service shoe in 1919. This was the shoe that the Doughboys of the early AEF wore when they landed in France before they were issued with any type of hobnailed field shoe. Note that the style and color is significantly different. My understanding is that Army issued shoes were decidedly redder in color while USMC issued shoes were more maroon in color.

post-5143-0-89299800-1393867429.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 02: Second row, is a reproduction of the 1910 USMC Cordovan Service Shoe. This style of shoe was allegedly issued by the USMC from 1910 to 1940. It features nine pairs of lacing eyelets and is lined with white cotton much like your shoe. However your shoe does not have a toe cap, and you’ll notice that the ‘quarters’ of the USMC shoe is fastened to the ‘vamp’ by three rows of stitching, while your shoe has two rows of stitching and a single row of decorative holes.

This is how the reproduction shoe was described:

A welt constructed shoe; with an inside counter pocket, full toe vamp, toe cap with USMC style toe, heavy first quality leather sole board and plain heel. The upper leather is best quality, heavy, Brown, side leather fully chromed and vegetable retanned. The shoe is lined with cotton drill material, and the tongue lined with felting. The stitching on the quarter is very nicely replicated. The heel accurately depicts the USMC Cordovan shoe styling. The tongue is lined with felting. These shoes were used by the USMC from 1910 to 1940, so these would be suitable to use even with WWI Marine Corps impressions.

post-5143-0-01234900-1393867560.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 03: Third row shows a detail taken from an advertisement selling surplus USMC shoes published in the March 1920 issue of the American Legion Weekly. The style of this shoe closely matches the reproduction USMC shoe shown above.

post-5143-0-36968600-1393867599.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 04: From left to right, the back of the 1914 Russet Leather Shoe, your shoe and the reproduction 1910 USMC Cordovan Service Shoe.

post-5143-0-58402700-1393867637.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 06: This is the photo from which the close up of the USMC shoes were taken. Both Marines are wearing the 1912 khaki cotton Summer Field Uniform, presumably worn with the 1910 USMC Cordovan Service Shoes.

post-5143-0-93475400-1393867718.jpg

world war I nerd

Photo No. 07: This is the best period photo I can find of Marines wearing what could be the 1910 USMC Cordovan Service Shoe.

post-5143-0-18559900-1393867762.jpg

world war I nerd

Sorry, it’s not much of an answer, but as you can tell your shoes do not match either the Army or USMC issued style of shoe; however they could be a pair of officer’s shoes that were privately purchased. I’ve seen numerous period photos of officers wearing shoes without a toe cap. Nevertheless, whether they’re issued or private purchase, they look like a good pair of WW I era shoes to me. Because of the maroon color I wouldn’t hesitate to display them with a Marine uniform.

If any forum member has any information or photos regarding early USMC shoes worn between 1902 and 1918 could you please post it or send me a PM, as I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of what types of shoes the USMC did or did not issue during those years. Thanks .... World War I Nerd

Bonjour WWI Nerd.

I Thank you for the information.
I think these are military boots at the sight of buffer:

?. Q.M.D
????

"Quartermaster Department"

Expect further notice.

Solcarlus.

Bonjour Doyler

Sorry. I do not understand the answer

. Shoes for woman?

Solcarlus.

Also the one the OP has shown has no capped toe.

world war I nerd

Hi Socarlus,

The markings on your shoes are a mystery to me. The way they are marked certainly imply that they were issued by the QTMC, but they absolutely don't match any of the shoe styles that I'm aware of.

Also every issued pair of smooth side out leather shoes made and issued by the QTMC that I'm aware of had a toe cap. Just because, I've never seen shoes like yours certainly doesn't mean that they weren't issued by the QTMC.

Another possibility, could be that they were a civilian shoe that was purchased and stamped/marked in 1917 when the Army was struggling to outfit the rapidly growing Army. The QTMC purchased civilian underwear and blue denim overalls, etc. early in WW I, so I see no reason why they couldn't have purchased military style shoes as well.

Your shoes could also be a USMC issued shoe. But as I mentioned, I know very little about the shoes issued by the Marine Corps. I mentioned the 1910 Cordovan Service Shoe, but my knowledge of that particular shoe was found years ago on the website offering reproduction shoes. Marine Corps regulations only mention black and tan shoes, which I think were the same shoes issued to the Navy.

It's also possible that your shoes predate the 1910 USMC shoe. Or perhaps the 1910 style shoe was issued to enlisted men and your shoe was issued to officers.

Unfortunately, for now, they remain a mystery.

Bonjour Doyler

Sorry. I do not understand the answer

. Shoes for woman?

Solcarlus.

Toe cap is the extra piece of leather shown covering the tip or end of the top of the shoe in the pictures provided.

Yur shoe lacks or does not have the cap on the top of the shoe/boot.

world war I nerd

For comparison to the markings on your shoes, here are the markings inside the Army issued 1914 Russet leather Shoe.

The ink stampings on the inside of the upper reads as follows:

W.H. Moulton

Contract 4178-Q

7 1/2 EE 6914 7

Specification Number 1236

St Louis Depot

The inner sole of the shoe is stamped with the inspectors name and the size:

A.F. KLICKEE or KLICKEI

If there were any markings on the sole they have worn off and are no longer visible.

When we see the general state of shoes and one, almost new, the heel, and I think a resole. The soles are leather.
Know one day if these shoes are military, if so, what model?

solcarlus.

world war I nerd

Unless they are from the 1920s or 1930s, they don't look like any pre 1919 Army shoe that I know of.

Is there any chance that you can make out any additional information from the faded ink stamps on the white canvas lining inside the shoe? That may be the only clue we have to identify your shoes.

world war I nerd

The heels look later than WW I to me. Since the shoes have been resoled (maybe in the 1930s) that's not a problem, but I don't think they can be used to help identify the shoes.

I've been trying to identify as many issued U.S Army shoes as I can from the period between 1902 and 1919, and I just don't recognize your shoes. They certainly seem to be issued, but they don't match anything I've seen so far. It's entirely possible that there are other patterns or models out there that I've not seen.

I lean towards the fact that your shoes may be USMC issued, because of the maroon color and because they have nine pairs of lacing eyelets. Both of which seem to be common on early USMC issued shoes. But I only have the photo of the repro USMC shoes and the 1920 dated advertisement as proof.

All Army issued shoes had either six, seven or eight pairs of eyelets. I've never seen any with nine pairs of eyelets.