Husband & Wife WAC Grouping

Scarecrow

This is the second Women's Services grouping that I was able to acquire today at our area ASMIC monthly militaria show. I haven't had a chance to do any research whatsoever yet, so there is a little mystery and guess work at the moment. This grouping came out of an estate just two weeks ago and it appears to be a husband and wife grouping. It includes four WAC uniforms, two winter, one summer and one white, A visor cap, winter and summer overseas caps. The uniforms include the skirts, two summer khaki, one "pinks", one greens and one white. Also one khaki Woman's shirt and a desk plate with her name. All are named to Lucille Novak except one of the winter green uniforms which is named to Lucille Noonan. The footlocker and the male uniform included are Id'd to a James Noonan. Interesting is the fact that her unifrom that is named Noonan is also the only one that has a Service Command SSI, the same SSI on James Noonan's uniform. My early guess is that they were married during the war and met while both serving in Service Command. One of the nicest items is the small pocket New Testament with a WAC Athena embosing on the cover. Hope you enjoy the photos.

post-23999-0-66446200-1393802318.jpgpost-23999-0-95176100-1393802340.jpgpost-23999-0-74977600-1393802355.jpgpost-23999-0-22003300-1393802364.jpg

Jumpin Jack

Just as a matter of interest, I collect in an area with a population density of 1.2 million in the greater city population. During the course of my interviews, I quickly became amazed at the number of husband and wife teams served in the military. Most met while in the service. One in particular was a WAC Captain who later married an Army Warrant Officer based together in North Africa. Yet another was a WAC Sfc who married a Ranger M/Sgt. I could go on as it is a rather interesting subject. I am fortunate to have five husband/wife team groupings in my collection. Jack Angolia

Jack,

Thank you for your response. That is very interesting. I was very fortunate and lucky to be in the right place and right time yesterday at the show. Thanks again.

Paul (aka Scarecrow)

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, that is a terrific grouping. I remember seeing it that morning, and it is outstanding to see the family's sets together. David manages to find some real quality gems out there, and I'm glad you managed to pick this one up from him. I can't wait to see what further research reveals on their service, please share it when you find it out.

-- Jon

Jon,

Thanks. And you are right, David does usually manage to find some nice items. Would like to catch up with you at the next Boxboro show. I usually stop by their tables and have a nice chat with Subsystem (Jay) and Sgt. Dorango (Mike), so if you see me walking around stop me and say hey. 9 times out of 10 I'm wearing a yellow ballcap with an RCAF rondell on the front. Next show April 6th.

Paul