Oxiclean

Owen

Anyone have any experience using Oxiclean to clean foxing off white uniform items?

Hope this is the right spot.

Help,

Owen

Last summer I acquired a WWII Naval officers white chocker collar tunic that had been laying in a cardboard box for decades. The coat had turned tan and looked horrible. Of course this was made of cotton, so I tried Oxiclean on it. I let it soak submerged in a big plastic tub for about 24 hours, then rinsed it out with clean water. It was hung out to dry in the summer sun and finally taken to my dry cleaners for a good cleaning and pressing. The results were very good, especially considering how badly it had been stained. It still has a little faint stain in the middle of the back, but otherwise came out looking very good.

You might try the Oxiclean on a small item like a service cap cover or something like that and see how it works for you. Good luck.

Captainofthe7th

Hey Owen--

Oxyclean works great on whites. Woolite is always good too, though I haven't actually used that on white cotton before. It's been great on everything else, though.

Rob

I bought two extremely yellowed Iwo Jima related navy jumpers, I essently used the oxiclean process that Lee used and they came out nice. I also used the Bluing process as well when I finally washed it. A follow up to the dry cleaners finished off the process, they came out beautiful!

LF

Stinger Gunner USMC

I have used Oxiclean several time to revive Navy Whites and have never had trouble. I have considered trying it on a WWI USMC Officer's whites but have been too afraid to try due to the historical significance of the piece and my fear of the name fading more

Got da Penny

Excellent results on my Navy white uniform using

oxiclean. Left a few light aging spots. ...

But, that was the look I wanted.