What is this USN Squadron Insignia?

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

I purchased a rather beat up G-1 jacket that has this faint insignia painted on one side. I can see what appears to be a dolphin,, fish, or bent torpedo over a circle. Unfortunately it is mostly worn away. I spent a while scrolling through patches online without any luck. Any help would be appreciated!

Justin

DSCN5321.JPG

Johnny Signor

Your patch is that of WW-2 US Navy "VC-85"(Composite Squadron-85 ) I have the image , sorry can't post it, but will describe it, the long object is an aerial torpedo w/face ,riding the torpedo is a cartoon cat/dog wearing cowboy gear/hat,6 gun belt,chaps,boots,scarf,holding two 6 guns out in front of body,sitting on saddle w/coil of rope and a long rifle , there's a small round area of light blue sky behind him with white clouds and two puffs of gray smoke out ahead of him from guns , torpedo had spinning prop in the tail and speed lines from cowboy .

Johnny

Johnny Signor

H.H. Booker posted a series of emblems from CD discs I sent him here on the forum, you can ask him where they're posted and the emblem I described is on that posting, you'll have to dig into it as there's a bunch of emblems, but it's there .....................

Johnny

CNY Militaria

Awesome, thank you so much for the information! I just looked through Mr. Booker's squadron patch postings, however I was unable to locate it. Looks like the VC patches he posted were 1-12 and then VC 61.

Johnny Signor

Well I know it's in the grouping somewhere as I took a photo of it when I first got them, possibly in one of the other files, but it is there , I'll see later if I can find it in the discs , will let you know ...........................

BTW, I'm really duhhhhhhh when it comes to knowing how to do the copy/load etc type of stuff , sorry about that or I'd just post it .

• 2 weeks later...
Johnny Signor

Awesome , glad you got it and it's posted so the rest of the forum can see it too , glad to help as always !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Cool patch.I have a group to a late war composite squadron pilot.He later went on to fly Panther jets then cargo aircraft in his reserve days.

I like the cat patches.His also had the cat(cheetah) and torpedo theme.His squadrons patch is the one in the lower left.

post-342-0-41601400-1394564704.jpg

Johnny Signor

Top left patch is USAAF 40th Fighter Squadron , Cheetah is USN VC-79, winged Seahorse is VC-1o, and the guy on flying carpet is VOF-2

Johnny