World War I War Service Chevrons

world war I nerd

On the topic of A.E.F. members who had served previously with the Allied armies of Europe, this letter from the January 4, 1919 issue of "The Army-Navy Register":

foreignservicechevron1919.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 9/1/2014 at 1:14 AM, patches said:

Wanted to add this summer of 1950 photo of a M/Sgt at the Seattle Port of Embarkation. An unknown NCO of the Technical and Administrative Services (the old Army Service Force redesignated July 1946), we see he's wearing the WWI Overseas Chevrons,two of them, but he's got Five Service Stripes, meaning he has between 15 and 17 years of service. If he was in for the long haul . Clearly a soldier who got out of the Army for a number of years after the Great War ended and Re-Upped, some time in the 1930s (maybe because of the Depression?)

post-34986-0-65126400-1409548485.jpg

Speaking of, "...he would be one of those guys we've seen with his Hashmarks up to his epaulets by 1950 :lol:."  Well, here you go.  Based on the unit patches, the photo likely dates to the Korean War era/Korean area of operations.

Shade

Stripes.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, what an amazing post and comments! I am someone might be able to help me determine what type of WW1 uniform I have in my collection. I believe it is a WW1 french uniform, but I am a bit puzzled by the "chevron-like" badge on the left sleeve. As you can see, the chevrons are gold and are V shaped, pointing downwards (see 1 & 2). However it is my understanding that French units used chevrons to denote service time and all of the images and material I have seen have these pointing UP in a tipi like shape (see attached 3 & 4). I would appreciate it if anyone has any insight/input. Thank you!

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

• 1 year later...

Here’s an interesting purchase that I’ve not found an equivalent for. I know this thread has some age on it. I thought at first perhaps this was a “runner’s stripe” but the chevron is silver so I’m not sure what the gold horizontal bar would have represented. By the cut of the gold bar, it appears it was made by cutting a gold chevron in half. 

2F74D5AE-E71B-4BA5-842A-D463262232C3.jpeg

7251F6E5-7E34-46F7-9E5C-880F43DFA7DF.jpeg

589CC941-22E7-43BB-A484-2A25A03F1D32.jpeg

eaglerunner88

Definitely WWI vintage; I have the identical silver chevron on a WWI jacket in my collection. But yeah strange, as if to signify 6 months overseas in WWI and 6 months overseas in WWII??

Another possible theory:  A number of experienced soldiers were shipped back to the US to aid in the National Army training effort.  I Had a uniform group to a 2nd Lieutenant who was an enlisted man in the 37th Division from Ohio sent back to train marksmanship to the 14th Division where he was commissioned.  He wore one blue chevron and two silver to signify this service.  I've seen the gold half-chevron unofficially worn to show more than 6 months but less than a year in the ZOA.  Possibly represented here; a soldier who spent more than 6 months in France and was shipped back to the US to aid in training new recruits.  Combinations of chevrons were not supposed to be worn but occasionally were.