KIA Iwo Jima, PFC Frank E. Holec USMC-R

Here is the remaining certificate still taped to the back of the FDR Citation. It is named to his mother, Elizabeth Holec, from the Yakima Valley, WA Chapter of the American Red Cross, dated Jan. 1946.

post-10864-0-33548300-1393738609.jpg

I SEARCH FOR, RESEARCH, AND PRESERVE WWII USMC COMBAT GROUPINGS; NAMED AND PATCHED BLUES AND ALPHA UNIFORMS; MEDALS; SWORDS; AND CLASS RINGS FROM THE CITADEL MILITARY COLLEGE IN CHARLESTON, SC.
http://No_outside_hosting.us/scaled/landing/191/americanheritagebanner.png

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sure left out a lot in the auction description

This is an excellent grouping!

LF

I collect items from The Battle of Iwo Jima (1945).

Top Iwo Jima Items I'm Looking For:

1) IDed 5th MarDiv Corpsman Jumper or Forest Green Coat.

2) IDed Coast Guard Navy Jumper

3) IDed CB's Sea Bee's Navy Jumper

4) IDed 147th Infantry Regiment Army Service Coat

5) IDed 32nd ID Army Service Coat (Occupation Kyushu with 5th MarDiv).

I am always looking for named and dated WWII USMC Forest Green wool alpha jackets/coats from the 5th Marine Division or other units who participated in the battle.

My Blog "Marines In Forest Green" http://marinesinfore...n.blogspot.com/

can someone please look him up in the Camp Gillespie graduation red books and post his photos and other info such as bio?

I SEARCH FOR, RESEARCH, AND PRESERVE WWII USMC COMBAT GROUPINGS; NAMED AND PATCHED BLUES AND ALPHA UNIFORMS; MEDALS; SWORDS; AND CLASS RINGS FROM THE CITADEL MILITARY COLLEGE IN CHARLESTON, SC.

here is a closer pic of the Red Cross cert with his mother's name on it.

post-10864-0-16938800-1393809735.jpg

Photo from the Camp Gillespie para-training school red book, Company B, 1943

Photo courtesy of Leif. Thank you!

post-10864-0-56697400-1393809986.jpg

Remembering PFC Frank Holec who died in service to his Corps and Country - 69 years ago today, 3 March 1945. Semper Fi.

post-10864-0-24453600-1393851231.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice group. Its in good hands.

Nick

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Collecting Marine Raider Groups

On the battlefield, Pfc Edward Ahrens, an Able Company BAR man, lay dying, soaked in his own blood.

As his company commander, Lew Walt cradled him in his arms, he surveyed the scene around them. Nearby lay a Japanese officer, a sergeant, and thirteen enlisted men, all dead. Ahrens had been shot twice in the chest and bayoneted three times. He whispered to Walt, "Captain, they tried to come over me last night, but I don't think they made it." Choking back tears, Walt replied softly, "They didn't, Eddy. They didn't."

That is a very nice grouping and great display. The Accolade really makes the group and a Paramarine to boot!

Kurt

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 3 months later...

Great uniform with an emotional past, thanks for posting!

***Items from unit called 8th Field Depot***

[Most frequently-sought unit because of family connection]

Intact ["out of the woodwork"] Marine Corps combat groups from WWII.

Unique items signed by many Marines from one unit, or inscribed with combat history.

Marine Corps valor recipient items.

Souvenirs taken by Marines with exceptional background and/or unique stories/documentation.

Marine Ship Detachment items from major naval engagements and those that warrant stars to ETO ribbon.

• 8 months later...

Remembering PFC Frank Holec who died in service to his Corps and Country - 70 years ago today, 3 March 1945. Semper Fi.

post-10864-0-93265600-1425387707.jpg

Remembering PFC Frank Holec who died in service to his Corps and Country - 69 years ago today, 3 March 1945. Semper Fi.

One of my favorite verses sir, thank you for posting. God bless him!

***Items from unit called 8th Field Depot***

[Most frequently-sought unit because of family connection]

Intact ["out of the woodwork"] Marine Corps combat groups from WWII.

Unique items signed by many Marines from one unit, or inscribed with combat history.

Marine Corps valor recipient items.

Souvenirs taken by Marines with exceptional background and/or unique stories/documentation.

Marine Ship Detachment items from major naval engagements and those that warrant stars to ETO ribbon.

R.I.P. PFC Holec - Semper Fi......Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

Great Tribute AH. RIP Marine

Here I have added his M41 Jacket Which I own

Nick

post-421-0-76221000-1425418593.jpg

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

On the battlefield, Pfc Edward Ahrens, an Able Company BAR man, lay dying, soaked in his own blood.

As his company commander, Lew Walt cradled him in his arms, he surveyed the scene around them. Nearby lay a Japanese officer, a sergeant, and thirteen enlisted men, all dead. Ahrens had been shot twice in the chest and bayoneted three times. He whispered to Walt, "Captain, they tried to come over me last night, but I don't think they made it." Choking back tears, Walt replied softly, "They didn't, Eddy. They didn't."

Here is his Grave stone

Nick

post-421-0-16631300-1425418974.jpg

Photo from the Camp Gillespie para-training school red book, Company B, 1943

Photo courtesy of Leif. Thank you!

Great photo! I was wondering, I have 2 paramarine items, would I be able to find a photo of each marine like this one?

Check out my online collection of dog tags... http://historicdogtags.com LOOKING FOR DOG TAGS.... CIVIL WAR, WWI, WWII, KOREAN WAR, AND VIETNAM.PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING! I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF IM INTERESTED.THANKS,USDOG

NICK, thanks for adding your piece of the grouping. I note that the HOLEC name marking in your jacket is identical to the name marking in his trousers which I have.

USDOG, I would assume so as long as they did a red book for those men's classes. Would be a worthwhile research project for sure.

• 11 months later...

Remembering PFC Frank Holec. Iwo Jima invasion Anniversary today. Witihin about 12 days on March 3rd 1945 PFC Holec died in service to his Corps and Country.

Semper Fi