USAAC/USAAF lapel pin for identification Discharge Pin?

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

USMF member Thor recently posted a lapel pin for identification on the boards Army Air Force pin and rather than hijack his topic, I'm posting this one which has been in my whattheheckisit pile for several years.

Is it a discharge pin as speculated? Or is is something else (sweetheart pin, veterans organization, etc.)

The clasp and hallmark say WWII or earlier (late 1930's). Anyone have some insight on what these pins are?

Small USAAC Wings 01 lg.jpg

Small USAAC Wings 01a lg.jpg

Small USAAC Wings 01b lg.jpg

Small USAAC Wings 01c lg.jpg

I remember seeing a patch with that arrowhead symbol. It was San Antonio Air Depot. I just did a quick Google search on it. Looks like a USAAF depot. The Air Force Association lapel pin has (or at least "had") "AFA" over the wings logo. But maybe they had an early design without the AFA.

Pete

Jumpin Jack

Here is the lapel pin that you ask about. It is post war pin to recognize those USAAF personnel who served honorably during WWII. The front of the card has Hap Arnold's simulated signature, while the reverse, dated December 10, 1945 has a stamped signature of the issuing officer. Like your example, the pin is identical in every regards to yours. Jack Angolia

post-247-0-49948300-1393793137.jpg

Reverse of the above.

post-247-0-87135800-1393793418.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Much appreciated Jack,

That's what I'd call a positive ID

Nice to have the GPO form number too!

• 6 months later...
  • 8 years later...

These are not "official" discharge pins/buttons.  In today's lingo, they woule be "morale" pins.  Originally produced mid-late 1940s, and sold in PXs, with screwback and nut, eventually post-and-clutch.  This came up on ebay recently...

discharge(1).jpg

discharge(2).jpg

Salvage Sailor

Nice addition to the topic, any other examples in your collections members?  Perhaps with other backmarks/hallmarks?