Celebrities In Uniform

seanmc1114

Actor Bill Cosby joined the Navy in 1956 as a hospital corpsman, serving at at least five marine bases throughout his four-year service. Cosby worked in physical therapy with seriously injured Korean War soldiers.

At a 2011 Navy ceremony designating Cosby as an honorary chief petty officer, the entertainer spoke about his time in the armed services.

“The years I spent in the Navy and so many moments remembering that the Navy gave me a wake-up call. The Navy showed me obedience and that’s the thing that pushed me to realize the mistakes I had made in my young life at 19-years-old and that I could do something with myself and become somebody,” he said.

Posted Image

Josh A.

After high school, Tracy Lauren Marrow aka Ice-T, above, found himself without much opportunity, often dealing drugs on the streets of Los Angeles to support himself.

âAnd when I had my daughter I was like, man, Iâm going to go to jail, I got to do something, and I went to an enlistment office,â he told NPR.

Ice-T then spent four years in the 25th Infantry Division at the Tropic Lightning Schofield Barracks in Hawaii.

7ene7edy.jpg

Josh A.

Montel Williams, above, enlisted in the U.S. Marines Corps in 1974. After graduating the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, he was appointed as a midshipman in the Navy.

Williams served as a cryptologic officer for naval intelligence in Guam, and in 1983 was transferred to the National Security Agency in Maryland. It was there that the then-lieutenant first began counseling his team and servicemen’s families, a service that paved the way to further public speaking and “The Montel Williams Show.”

When Williams left the Navy, he had received the Navy Achievement Medal, the Meritorious Service Medal, and the Navy Commendation Medal.

Montel continued to support sailors, marines and their families throughout his two decades on television, and was awarded The Department of the Navy Superior Public Service Award in 2008.

Posted Image

Josh A.

Right Bob, then there's this biggie, 45 pages, I do believe all the photos in this new thread posted thus far have been already posted here

post-35406-0-39738800-1393716811.jpg

Tony Curtis served in the US Navy aboard the submarine tender USS Proteus in the Pacific. Curtis was a shipmate with a good friend, fellow actor, Larry Storch.

post-35406-0-05286000-1393717307.jpg

Political commentator James Carville served two years in the Marine Corps during the Vietnam War.

WOW... who would have thunk it!

• 10 months later...

It looks like Wyatt Earp, brave,courageous and bold. Hugh O'Brian.

Seen this photo of O'Brian lots of times and was always curious about the 5th Mar Div patch, there's really not much info other than he was the "Youngest DI in the Corps" not sure if that mean's in WWII, or in the history of the Corps. Knowing that the 5th Mar Div famously seen combat for the first time on Iwo, we don't see anything that O'Brian was there with them.

So perhaps others can tell more, or give their hypothesis'?

• 1 year later...

more photos actor James Stewart

He became the first major American movie star to wear a military uniform in WWII

Initially, Stewart was given the rank of private; by the time he had completed training, he had advanced to the rank of second lieutenant (January of 1942). Much to his chagrin, due to his celebrity status and extensive flight expertise (having tallied over 400 flight hours before even joining the military), Stewart was initially assigned to various “behind the lines” type duties such as training pilots and making promotional videos in the states. Eventually, when he realized they were not going to ever put him in the front line, he appealed to his commanding officer and managed to get himself assigned to a unit overseas.

In August of 1943, he found himself with the 703rd Bombardment Squadron, initially as a first officer, and shortly thereafter as a Captain. During combat operations over Germany, Stewart found himself promoted to the rank of Major. During this time, Stewart participated in several uncounted missions (on his orders) into Nazi occupied Europe, flying his B-24 in the lead position of his group in order to inspire his troops.

For his bravery during these missions, he twice received the Distinguished Flying Cross; three times received the Air Medal; and once received the Croix de Guerre from France. This latter medal was an award given by France and Belgium to individuals allied with themselves who distinguished themselves with acts of heroism.

By July of 1944, Stewart was promoted chief of staff of the 2nd Combat Bombardment wing of the Eighth Air Force. Shortly thereafter, he was promoted to the rank of colonel, becoming one of only a handful of American soldiers to ever rise from private to colonel within a four year span.

After the war, Stewart was an active part of the United States Air Force Reserve, serving as the Reserve commander of Dobbins Air Reserve Base. On July 24, 1959, he attained the rank of brigadier general (one star general).

During the Vietnam War, he flew (not the pilot) in a B-52 on a bombing mission and otherwise continued to fulfill his duty with the Air Force Reserve. He finally retired from the Air Force on May 31, 1968 after 27 years of service and was subsequently promoted to Major General (two star general).

post-1885-0-60491200-1455087369.jpg

post-1885-0-62964700-1455087377.jpg

post-1885-0-10984200-1455087386.jpg

• 10 months later...

actor SABU was born in India and starred in famous movies like the Thief of Bagdad , Jungle Book

After becoming an American citizen in 1944, Sabu joined the United States Army Air Forces and served as a tail gunner and ball turret gunner on a B24 Liberators. He flew several dozen missions with the 370th Bomb Squadron of the 307th Bomb Group in the Pacific, and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his valor and bravery.

post-1885-0-54786400-1483221416.jpg

post-1885-0-78636500-1483221427.jpg

post-1885-0-08497400-1483221437_thumb.jpg