Help 4 Jet Helmets and 5 Helmet Bags

AB12

Johnny Signor

In your first photo , the helmet in the front top(shiny tape) is oldest, next would be the one in front middle w/springloaded visor,next the helmet to the right and then the one on far left as to their era of progression , which bags I'm not sure ....................................

The one with the tape appears to be a Navy H4.

Im guessing the one with the exposed visor is on eof the early Air FOrce P series with added or later fitting for a oxy mask with the bayonet fittings.Others appear to be APH5-6?? series.

Must have been a hell of an auction.

Great finds.

The whit helmet in the middle is a 50sToptex. Great find! This helmet was not issued to pilot but acquired personnally. More military or civilian test pilots used this model. Also a lot of USAF and even USN (but not more often) were used this one. I would say it could go in your last displayed USAF bag.

The helmet in rear is a USN 50s H-3 or H-4. The red and white on the left is a USAF 70/80s HGU-26/P and the yellow is a Navy HGU-33 or 34/P from the same era. This last one certainly has been repainted with the Blue Angels team colors. But if it's an original from the team, you will get some dollars selling it!

All 3 bags with pockets may be from USN since they are riggers made. It was a normal way in the Navy having squadron or personnal made bags. They came perhaps from the same vet or at least same unit because they have the same look. USN aviators also had often bags made with this sort of waterproof canvas which looks as leather.

Franck

Thanks for the comments and all the info. These all came from a Captain in the USAF who served in Vietnam

and possible in Korea. I'll get more info on him later. I'm amazed on the id of the 1950s Toptex. Have more items I'll

add soon when I get time to take pics.

BlueBookGuy

Hello al from Italy.

That "Toptex" is a real beauty, never will be tired to see this pattern of helmet!! Years ago I owned one wich was previously from a Thunderbird pilot (I mean, NOT an original Thunderbird helmet as worn in flight during the mythical 50s :love: ) Went away together with his CWU-27/P flight suit, all late 70s/early 80s - presume he used the Toptex even so much late in the time, just for the sake of wearing it.

Modified with the (then) standard mask receivers (NOT offset pattern) for its MBU-5/P mask also present, instead of the "Hardman" usual Kit. Just kept the three items a couple years, then gave away the whole at a Militaria event here in Italy - I swapped with a BA-18S backpack 'chute wich allowed me to complete, at last ,my F-105 full-size pilot in Vietnam.

But sometimes I regret that... any other "Toptex" will be too much difficult to have again.

Regards, Franco.

BlueBookGuy

Toptex is truly A GREAT helmet, nobody could state the contrary... love such pics.

Exactly the pattern of former mine, that one had its "Hardman" receivers just mirror-treated (like new conditions) but this are minor points - Believe there were not more than just one model "Toptex" the 3BM, from there on just there might be some arrangements as for customizing the inner liner .

My former Toptex had a black one, and black edge roll... a beauty!!! Repeat, the grouping Toptex + MBU-5/P mask + its owner's CWU-27/P suit (an former Thunderbirds member) could be worthy going away bargained with a BA-18s parachute as in new conditions - just sometimes I make a thinking to it again!!

Regards, franco.