Medic Flag signed by entire unit

NickCT

I just got this in today, it's a medical flag signed by a unit and dated 1945. It came with the picture of a man posing with the exact flag in front of the barracks. Unfortunately, I couldn't get much of any information after searching many of the names, but I'll continue looking and hopefully something will come up and I can figure out something about these men. Any idea what the P S D stands for on the red cross? I took a closeup picture of one of the names as it's signed "Walter M. Rennick. Capt. C.O. P.S.D". Anyhow, I wanted to share as I think it's a pretty cool piece! :)

20140227_1650321_zps3b69930e.jpg

20140227_165101_zps9b76f453.jpg

20140227_165131_zps9f7e04b8.jpg

20140227_165154_zps0866b98e.jpg

20140227_165227_zps8daea089.jpg

20140227_165252_zps47d1b81e.jpg

20140227_165205_zps43e7b4c5.jpg

20140227_173242_zps394701dc.jpg

Hi Nick - That is a really nice find. I don't think 45 refers to 1945, I think it refers to the unit ie 45th PSD. But I haven't seen that acronym used in a medical context before. The modern meaning of PSD is Personal Security Detail/Detachment which is usually the crew that protects a General for example. The modern PSD would not have a medical flag and wouldn't expect to see a medical flag associated with a security detail in the 40s either.

If Ben see's this he might have an idea what PSD might mean.

I was able to find that T5 Martin Rotker was drafted in 1942 from the Bronx.

Freeman Marshall was drafted in 1942 from Ft Sill OK.

I believe that Angie Melissinos was drafted in 1942 from WV as Xenofon Melissinos.

It doesn't look like any of those three had a medical background, not that it is surprising at all.

For what's its worth, the photo looks like 1941 era with Field Service cap and whistle while the hutments looks like they are from the South.

Peter

Thanks guys! And thanks so much for taking the time to do some research Peter, it definitely helps and I'm glad you shed some light on the 45. I hope Ben sees this too so we can figure out about what the PSD means

If read from the top - down, could it be S.P.D. 45? "S.P.D." is an established hospital abbreviation for "Sterile Processing Department", responsible for sterilizing and repacking medical instruments and equipment. Just a thought ! ^_^

Anything is possible, but I'm pretty sure it is PSD as the #6 pic has Capt Rennick signature as Capt C.O. P.S.D.

Just a swag but I believe WWII medical units had Personnel Service/support Detachments as well as Psychiatric Service Detachments...

Hi Nick....

I signed the flag in 1945...

If you give me your email address I'll be very happy to send you the WHOLE TRUE story about the flag, PSD, Capt. Rennick and my relationship with it...

T/5 Martin Rotker

PSD Mystery solved.pdfNick---

I thought you might think this was bogus, so I am sending you the story I was going to email you...

I don't know how much type is allowed, so here it is...

If all doesn.t all make it, THEN gimme the address.... Or if you like, I'll give you mine 1st....

Whatever....

Marty R

just tried to upload my story.. message came back it was too big to upload.... Email may be the only way to go...

hbtcoveralls

Marty

Thanks so much for sharing the story of the flag. What a great time capsule opening it must have been. Thank you for your service too.

Tom Bowers

attachicon.gif PSD Mystery solved.pdfNick---

I thought you might think this was bogus, so I am sending you the story I was going to email you...

I don't know how much type is allowed, so here it is...

If all doesn.t all make it, THEN gimme the address.... Or if you like, I'll give you mine 1st....

Whatever....

Marty R

just tried to upload my story.. message came back it was too big to upload.... Email may be the only way to go...

This is a very cool coincidence that you were testing Google with your own name and came upon this forum and this post! ....and what a great story about the flag! Most of the time we never find the story behind the item and here you come along by accident within just a couple of weeks and solve the mystery by being one of the actual people associated to the flag!

I think that's awesome! Thanks for dropping by Marty and I hope you stick around, this is a great forum, full of interesting things!

Rick

A truly great story. Thanks for your service and for sharing this time capsule of an item with us!

Regards,

Ben.

Mr. Rotker,

I can honestly say I almost spit my coffee all over the floor this morning after seeing your reply to this post! I'm so happy you were able to find it, and I can't thank you enough for telling us the full story behind the flag. I was just thinking the other day about how I'd probably never know what the PSD means, and here you go answering every question I could have had. Do you know who the man holding the flag is?

I'll PM you with all my contact information, this way we can stay in touch and I can hopefully any questions you might have.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to register here and let me and everyone know the background of the flag. I can only imagine your expression when you found a picture of the flag you signed almost 70 years ago! I hope you decide to stay on this forum a while, we'd all be happy to have you as a member.

Nick

Mr Rotker -

Your information and history is greatly appreciated. It isn't very often that you get to have something in a collection that can be directly connected to a person. So often the artifacts we acquire are from a family member or another collector/dealer and are missing the rest of the story. The fact that you spent the time to write up information regarding your service and the flag makes the flag all that more special to everyone who has viewed.

I would encourage you to write, speak or otherwise record as much information and memories as you can. I can guarantee future generations will be inspired and thrilled by your stories and memories. If you are uncertain how to do so, feel free to post or contact somebody on the forum and we will get you pointed in a positive direction.

Thank you for your service to our country and we hope to hear from you again soon.

Peter

Backtheattack

A great story. Another part of history came out the darkness. Keep it well! You own a real good part of history.

Thanks for kind replies, guys.

Decided to hang around & see whats going on in these forums.

May have to finally open my old duffle bag & see if I might still have anything of value to share.

Marty R

Brian Dentino

This is truly amazing....the flag is great, but Marty finding it and providing us a background history on it makes it even better! Thanks to both Nick for posting the nice flag and Marty for explaining the first hand account of how/what/why this amazing piece came into your hands.

Welcome to the forum Marty!!!!!!