Best WWII Memoirs

HattonWWII

I am looking to anyone who would like to post what are some of their favorite WWII memoirs? And any report they would like to give. Thank you. One of my favorites would have to be Island of the Damned

Eugene B. Sledge's "With The Old Breed: At Pelelieu And Okinawa" has to rank in the top 10 U.S. WWII memoirs.

Gotta agree.

I've read a couple of Easy Company Memoirs that are out. Another interesting read is Jacklyn H. Lucas' Memoirs as a Marine. Lucas was a Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient from Iwo Jima. He pulled 2 Japanese Hand Grenades and survived the ordeal. Lucas went through a tough time after becoming a civilian. His house was caught on fire after returning home and his medal, ceremony picture and everything else were destroyed. It's quite a shame it happened to him.

D

Omaha Beach and beyond by Sgt. John Robert Slaughter. Is my favorite another good one is Dog company the boys of Point Du Hoc it is a great book on the second rangers in WWII.

-Dave

Serenade to the Big Bird by Bert Stiles. Written in the moment. He didn't survive the war. It's about his time as a B-17 co-pilot with the 91st BG. I read it a couple times a year and it never fails to amaze me.

Sledges book has already been mentioned and it's also a must read.

Charlie Flick

All of the books by Don Burgett:

• Currahee!: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy, the story of Able Company of 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment
  • The Road to Arnhem, a first hand account of Operation Market-Garden.
  • Seven Roads to Hell (Bastogne and the Battle of the Bulge)
  • Beyond the Rhine: A Screaming Eagle in Germany

He saw a ton of ETO action in the 101AB and does not seem to have forgotten anything. Riveting, first-hand stuff.

Regards,

Charlie

Some excellent books written by women who served:

"Bedpan Commando The Story of a Combat Nurse During World War II" by June Wandry

"We Were Wasps" by Winifred Wood

"Girls Can't be Pilots" by Margaret J Ringenberg

"War in Korea The Report of a Woman Combat Correspondent" by Marguerite Higgins

....Kat

Several of my many favorites:

"Helmet For My Pillow" by Robert Leckie - with the 1st Marine Div. on Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, and Peleliu

"Time Out for Combat" by Otis Sampson - Paratrooper with 505 PIR in Sicily, Italy, Normandy, and Holland

"God Isn't Here" by Richard Overton - Navy Corpsman on Iwo Jima

"Jump Into the Valley of the Shadow" by Dwayne Burns - 508 PIR paratrooper in Normandy, Holland, the Bulge, and Germany

A good one that comes to mind is from Dick O'Kane "Clear the Bridge" (I had the pleasure of corresponding with him in the late seventies/ early eighties). Just a super nice man.......

Gotta agree.

I've read a couple of Easy Company Memoirs that are out. Another interesting read is Jacklyn H. Lucas' Memoirs as a Marine. Lucas was a Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient from Iwo Jima. He pulled 2 Japanese Hand Grenades and survived the ordeal. Lucas went through a tough time after becoming a civilian. His house was caught on fire after returning home and his medal, ceremony picture and everything else were destroyed. It's quite a shame it happened to him.

D

You are talking about "Indestructible" by Jack H. Lucas.

This is a quick and entertaining read. They seriously could make a movie about this guys life. He is lucky to have survived being a civilian!! ;)

All of the books by Don Burgett:

• Currahee!: A Screaming Eagle at Normandy, the story of Able Company of 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment
  • The Road to Arnhem, a first hand account of Operation Market-Garden.
  • Seven Roads to Hell (Bastogne and the Battle of the Bulge)
  • Beyond the Rhine: A Screaming Eagle in Germany

He saw a ton of ETO action in the 101AB and does not seem to have forgotten anything. Riveting, first-hand stuff.

Regards,

Charlie

These really are GREAT! I think they are better than BoB. If they took these books combined and made a movie/series along the lines of BoB you would have a hit for sure. The man can write.

You are talking about "Indestructible" by Jack H. Lucas.

This is a quick and entertaining read. They seriously could make a movie about this guys life. He is lucky to have survived being a civilian!! ;)

YEP Thats the one. It's quite a shame that he had such hard luck upon returning to the states after being blown up by a Hand Grenade twice and surviving. I LOVED reading about his time in the U.S. Army! That was a good laugh!

D

Keep you're eyes open for Lucas' book signed. I found one for $7.00 BIN on eBay. I also have a Quiet Hero signed as well.

Charlie Flick

The late Otis Sampson's book "Time Out for Combat" was mentioned above. I have not been able for find a source for this book. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to locate a copy? It sounds like a good read and I'd like to have it. Thanks.

Regards,

Charlie

Nine O Nine

Completely agree with 38 Driver serenade to the Big Bird is an amazing read! And With the old breed. But my other personal favourites are.

Etched in Purple by Frank Irgang who was a Medic with the 29th Division.

Combat Crew by John Comer who flew as a Top turret gunner with the 381st Bomb Group.

The wrong Stuff by Truman Smith a Co Pilot with the 385th Bomb group This doesn't just deal with Smiths combat missions but all parts of his time in England and is really funny in places.

And if you want something a bit different it's Not U.S. Related but First Light by Geoffrey Wellum is a fantastic read about one pilots time in the RAF during the Battle of Britain and the defence of Malta.

Tom.

cperkins501

The late Otis Sampson's book "Time Out for Combat" was mentioned above. I have not been able for find a source for this book. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to locate a copy? It sounds like a good read and I'd like to have it. Thanks.

Regards,

Charlie

I got my copy of Sampson's memoir from Amazon, about 5-6 years ago. It is still listed there, but the price has skyrocketed since they only did one round of publishing

Thank you all I have begin to put a big list together I have found 151 memoirs that seem pretty good all the posts are helping!

Charlie Flick

I got my copy of Sampson's memoir from Amazon, about 5-6 years ago. It is still listed there, but the price has skyrocketed since they only did one round of publishing

Hi CPerkins:

Thanks for the reply. I buy a lot of my books off Amazon and had in fact checked there. I did not see any listed at all. The book was described as "Out of Print. Limited Availability." Frankly, I did not see any availability but I'll keep looking.

Regards,

Charlie

strawberry 9

You'll be Sor-ree- Sid Phillips

The Liberator- Alex Kershaw

Unbroken- Laura Hillenbrand

The Forgotten Soldier- Guy Sajer

Up Front- Bill Mauldin