Morning Briefing

Cary91

Well Let me start off with this, I apologize if this is in the wrong section. It doesn't necessarily pertain to WW2 aviation clothing, though it is related to USAAF.

Well, I am working on doing a display with my local VFW, and I am planning this year to do separate exhibits rather than my table displays of the past. Well since I have recently gotten into USAAF and have obtained a decent amount of items, I would like to do a cool exhibt for that, which would include a Morning Briefing.

My Plan for this would be to make a good sized board for me to pin up maps and information that would normally pertain to a morning mission briefing. Along with a mannequin displayed with it, and then a voice recording that would play in the back ground on a loop of a staged mission briefing. My problem comes in trying to find the maps and other things that would be displayed. I have seen pictures of chalk boards. and charts but I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out in my endeavor here. And since I know it will get mighty pricey to buy all original items for this and I really don't have all that much time to hunt them down, I was thinking of making reproductions at the local print shop of the maps and such. Or does anyone know of a place were i can get copies of such maps? Any information anyone could provide would greatly help.

-Cary

This is just a suggestion but you could possibly get a few national geographic maps and use them, specifcally, France and Germany. National Geaographic had been putting maps in their issues for years. You can easily find maps from the 60's and 70's to use. Just a thought to keep the prices down..

Leigh

doinworkinvans

I noticed alot of picutres of enemy aircraft for identification up on boards too....If you want more pics of something different let me know!

Daniel

Daniel those pictures are great! They definitely show a lot and will help me out! If you have more that would be awesome. I was able ok find a couple other pictures of briefings, but those are far more detailed than what I found.

-Cary

doinworkinvans

I like the personalization you can find in each picture...

Like this one says..."remember! 90% loses come from fog in the cockpit"

Page 1.jpg

doinworkinvans

The guy sitting straight up with hands on his knees looks like he might mess his pants up...must be a touch mission ahead....

123.jpg

doinworkinvans

Just make copies! As you can see they are all smaller pieces of paper just put up together or just use more recent maps...

I got them all off of Fold3.com - worth every penny!

Hi Cary,

For info you can also find group formations too from some of the bomb group webpages and Facebook pages if you're looking for a specific mission/date etc as well as previous strike photographs of targets. maps are harder to locate as the 40's dated ones are hard to find for the obvious reasons, I saw a large 1950 dated Europe wall map on Ebay the other day and it appeared to still have the old German and Polish borders on it so that may help there, anything later may well have incorrect country details on them. As silly as it may sound, drawing pins and ribbon were also used to mark the outbound and inbound flights including turning points, I.P. and secondary targets and also flak hot spots and some groups listed Luftwaffe bases too so you can soon fill a map. You can also mark splasher beacons/radio frequencies and ASR stations on the UK coastal maps too if you have one.

Good luck with it and hope it goes well.

Cheers Dave

Cary,

You can make your own chalk boards. They make the paint that you could put on plywood or other light weight board.The grids can be created with chart tape.

Neat project!

Bob

doinworkinvans

Yea Cary all these ideas are great and I for one think its a great endeavour! No one else here has tried it to my knowledge!

Daniel

Thanks for the info Dave.

I am having a tough time finding a good sized map, I did find a 33x26 National Geographic map of germany and its boundaries from 1944. I will have to do some more diggingto find the info on a mission that I can mark out the routes. The splasher beacons and frequencies would look cool on there. I was actually planning to use red ribbon and pins to mark routes.

On a side note I decided to contact National Geographic directly to see if they have a archive of maps and if so of they would be able to reprint one from ww2. Just waiting for then to call back as I left an after hours message.

Planning on a trip this weekend to home depot, rather than spend the time and money looking for a large chalkboard I figure I can just make one, would be a lot cheaper than trying to obtain a large slate chalk board.

-Cary