Span-Am Custom Tailored Navy Jumper

carnut63

Okay, we all know Jason's Buffalo uniform wins the cool prize but here is a beautiful custom tailored Coxswain Navy jumper. I will let the pics tell the story.

IMG_3582_zps657cc59b.jpg

IMG_3588_zps931fdfdb.jpg

IMG_3587_zps048a659b.jpg

IMG_3583_zps8915a5b6.jpg

IMG_3585_zps12f66091.jpg

IMG_3586_zps9fe21d0b.jpg

This looks even better with your pictures. You know I was so tempted on bidding,but I wanted you to have it! But if you ever let it go you know I will give it a good home :) Serious good score!

Jason

That is a cool looking jumper. I want to know about the cuff insignia as well. Weren't petty officers of that era supposed to have four stripes on the cuffs?

Interesting, what are the bullion devices on the cuff?

G

It's just some nice embroidery. I am not sure if they mean anything but they are pretty cool decoration!

I was wondering who managed to snag this one. Glad it went to a forum member. I love those metal stars on the flap, it's got a great look to it. Congrats!

-- Jon

This is a beautiful example of a "Sailor Made" Jumper from between 1893 and 1905, (prior to 1905, rating badges were worn on the sleeve coresponding to the watch section the Sailor was in reguradless of rate). Every thing aboout it is decorative. The piping is wider than usual, a style of the time for fancy jumpers, all of the stitching except the youke attaching stitching, was hand done as decoration using silk "Button Hole Twist" thread. I have done a lot of this sort of stitch work, and it is time consuming to get it all straight and even! The shoulder yoke, which is a seperate piece of fabric has been re cut into this distinctive shape. I have seen this done several times, and was a common modification of the era. I am not sure if this jumper started life as an basic issue jumper or was assembled from open purchase fabric. The hem is "Pinked" as was standard for issue jumpers and it has the holes in the vent for clothes stops, again, standard on all issue jumpers I love the black silk bias tape on all the edges including the rating badge! The badge I think was commercially made as far as the eagle and crossed anchors. It may possibilly have been a BM1 crow that the jumpers original owner removed the other two sewn chevrons from. Hard to say, could just as well have had it made in a shop some where. Personnaly, not a big fan of the metal pin on collar stars. Just me, much prefer embroidered. Would love to have seen the hat and trousers that originally went with this jumper. Again, beautiful

US Victory Museum

I too wish to congratulate you on your good fortune to have acquired this outstanding specimen for

your collection. Finding these early items is challenging as they do not appear with any frequency.

Gorgeous!

Msn

Thanks everyone. I actually think my favorite piece on here is the bullion apprentice knot. It actually looks like a little piece of rope!