Campaign flag rings?

So I am trying to figure out what these two rings are. Each is engraved in plain block letters. The first one reads:

WORLD-WAR-II - AP-THTR

LUZON

And the second one reads:

WORLD-WAR-II -AP-THTR

NEW GUINEA

I understand what the abbreviations are. My question is, what are they? I doubt they are napkin holders. They are heavy, I believe they are silver plated. The only idea I came up with was that perhaps they slip over the pole of a flag.

Any ideas? Has anyone seen something like this on a flag staff?

Thanks,

G

post-297-0-35079600-1393461111.jpg

They are "War service and campaign silver bands" that are affixed to the pole of a guidon.

You can find the info in Army Regulation 840-10 Flags, Guidons, Streamers, Tabards and Automobile and Aircraft Plates.

The AR referenced above is readily available on-line with a quick Google search. Chapters 6-1, and 9-15 will probably answer your questions.

Those bands are rather hard to find and in my experience, most guidon poles either have none or not all they should haave.

Nice find!

The AR (dated 1 Nov 1998) states:

6–6. Streamers and silver bands Streamers and silver bands awarded to units are component parts of the guidon. Streamers to reflect unit awards are attached below the spearhead of the flagstaff. Silver bands to indicate campaigns are placed on the flagstaff below the guidon (See chap 9 for authorized streamers and silver bands.) The criteria for streamer awards and silver bands is contained in AR 600-8-22.

Thank you for this awesome intel! I never knew that this was an actual practice. I was thinking perhaps it was a VFW type of thing, but am thrilled to know it is a legitimate army item with a great distinctive purpose! Thanks for the references, too!

G