SOS 2014 Photos - for those of us not as fortunate...

Looks Like a nice War Trials Ike in the photo posted.

Thanks for the pics

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first SOS and I was blown away. I was able to get a lot of great medals, uniforms, and a few wings. Highlights were some Navy DFCs in short titled boxes, finally got a WWII DSC, WWII DSM, and Medal of Freedom. I got a great deal on an Berlin Brigade Ike Jacket that has a great German made armor patch on it. I was sad to hear that one of the Vets got up from his chair and someone stole the jacket he wore in WWII. I can't believe someone would do that at this show. I thought about heading over to the gun show on Sat, but heard mixed reviews from people. Is there much militaria at the gun show? I will definitely make this a yearly mecca.

Check out my militaria website and let me know what piques your interest. I'm in the middle of a redesign so there may be a few issues.

Stars & Stripes Militaria

I was sad to hear that one of the Vets got up from his chair and someone stole the jacket he wore in WWII. I can't believe someone would do that at this show.

Unbelievable. Glad to hear some perps got arrested the first day if that is the case. They're out there. Even locally. Its horrible, but just means its our job to watch out for them and be vigilant.

donation2013.gifdonation2015.gif

Looking for: Washington and Oregon Coast Artillery items

Any items related to the Harbor Defenses of the Columbia River and the Harbor Defenses of Puget Sound, 1860s-WWII. This includes items from Fort Stevens, OR; Ft Canby, WA; Ft Columbia, WA; Ft Worden, WA; Ft Casey, WA; Ft Flagler, WA; Ft Ward, WA; Ft Whitman, WA; Camp Hayden, WA; and the following units that served at these forts:
Columbia River: 33rd, 34th, 93rd, and 160th Companies, CAC; and 18th and 249th Coast Artillery regiments
Puget Sound: 26th, 30th, 62nd, 63rd, 71st, 85th, 92nd, 94th, 106th, 108th, 126th, 149th, and 150th Companies, CAC; and 14th and 248th Coast Artillery regiments

Coast Defense Study Group member & site representative for the Columbia River forts

ASMIC member

Hi,

nice pics. What was the price of the USN helmet ?

Max

If you are referring to the Navy Lt. marked helmet it was 6000.00.

Did anyone look at the WWII 2nd armored division helmet that was in the same case as the Navy Lt. helmet?

If you are referring to the Navy Lt. marked helmet it was 6000.00.

Did anyone look at the WWII 2nd armored division helmet that was in the same case as the Navy Lt. helmet?

I believe this is the set you are talking about. I think he was asking $2300 for it.

post-104736-0-54314400-1393941828.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion....Carl Spackler

I believe this is the set you are talking about. I think he was asking $2300 for it.

Yes, that's the one. It brought back old memories as I originally got that one out of the woodwork locally about 20 years ago.

Can you tell me a little about the "raised" surface of the unit mark on the front if the shell?

This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion....Carl Spackler

Can you tell me a little about the "raised" surface of the unit mark on the front if the shell?

It appeared to be an applied piece of metal? and then painted. Not only the unit insignia but the LT. bar as well.

What was the story on the stolen uniform?

Afghanistan Vet OEF 10-11 - Engineer Corps US Army.

Getting a medal means two things:

1. Someone saw you do it.

2. You didn't tick off the approval chain.
Seeking 984th Engineer Co (Land Clearance), 36th Engineer Regt/Bde, and Sanitary Corps items from all eras.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Troy,

The main reason you are holding the shovel is because you won the first annual sea story award! The second reason is that it was too big for Mike to carry!

I am the one in the front row on the left holding my transitional Inland. The beer bottle was only a counterbalance... I swear! :D

Tom K
USMC (VMFA-115) 90 - 96
ASMIC Member
OVMS member (ready for my 16th SOS in 2019)

donation2016.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

I was sad to hear that one of the Vets got up from his chair and someone stole the jacket he wore in WWII. I can't believe someone would do that at this show.

Unbelievable. Glad to hear some perps got arrested the first day if that is the case. They're out there. Even locally. Its horrible, but just means its our job to watch out for them and be vigilant.

Happy to report that this is not true. He thought it was stolen and reported it so, but later found it when he returned to his hotel room. Just a 'senior moment.' No worries.

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Good to hear!

Afghanistan Vet OEF 10-11 - Engineer Corps US Army.

Getting a medal means two things:

1. Someone saw you do it.

2. You didn't tick off the approval chain.
Seeking 984th Engineer Co (Land Clearance), 36th Engineer Regt/Bde, and Sanitary Corps items from all eras.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Here are my finds from the SOS (will do more in-depth threads later):

WWII USMC KIA Silver Star to a 2nd Lt. from Peleliu

WWII USMC KIA Purple Heart to a 1st Lt. who flew Avengers off of Guadalcanal and was shot down in early 1943

Found some other items, I left with most of my finds, but traded one group during the show.

Philip

post-25965-0-51754800-1393980908.jpg

Actively Seeking:

WW2 USN/USMC Attributed/Named Purple Heart Groups

WW2 USN/USMC Combat Aviation Groups

WW2 and Prior USN/USMC Medal Groups

Contact me if you have something

I was there for my first time. I had a lot of fun and got to meet a few people. Completely blown away by the amount of items available. I only managed to pick up a few small items I need for a display this coming memorial day and a few books. I will post my finds later.

- Henry

Wanted: Tank Destroyer Forces Medals and Groupings

Good to hear!

You bet! I was sick when I first heard this, and very, VERY glad to confirm that it turned out not to be the case.

It was a pleasure to meet you at the show, by the way.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

For everyone who attended - if you have comments, complaints, constructive criticism, questions, etc. - email me. agm6 (at) advanceguardmilitaria.com

Please use email rather than filling up my PM box.

Put Show-of-Shows in the email subject line.

There are some things that are just simply beyond our control, and cannot be altered no matter how much we wish we could.. but for everything else, the OVMS is listening to you. Many of the improvements that have been made over the years are the direct result of member ideas. It is YOUR Show-of-Shows, and we want to make it as good as it can possibly be.

Due to my nutty travel schedule I may not be able to respond directly to all messages, but I guarantee you ALL will be read and considered. We're already planning for 2015, while 2014 is fresh in our minds.

On behalf of the OVMS board, we thank you very sincerely for your support of this show, and hope to see many of you in Wilmington in June.

I would like the ice cream stand put closer to my table block....

"If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad with go to the mountain." I think Bob is asking to be moved closer to the ice cream. :lol: Those tables near the entrance have to be a bother, what with all of the people who walk by with their pockets full of money! How can you ever get a minute to sit around and do nothing with all of those darned customers? Thankfully, Vince was there to do all of the heavy lifting. :rolleyes:

It was truly a great show and things to be had by everyone. I'm glad I made it yet again, but anymore the social aspect is every bit as important as the buying and selling. Bob- why didn't I get an invite to Cracker Barrel?

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

Troy,

The main reason you are holding the shovel is because you won the first annual sea story award! The second reason is that it was too big for Mike to carry!

I am the one in the front row on the left holding my transitional Inland. The beer bottle was only a counterbalance... I swear! :D

Sheessh........that Tom K. is everywhere!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Happy to report that this is not true. He thought it was stolen and reported it so, but later found it when he returned to his hotel room. Just a 'senior moment.' No worries.

That's great to hear!

Check out my militaria website and let me know what piques your interest. I'm in the middle of a redesign so there may be a few issues.

Stars & Stripes Militaria

Sheessh........that Tom K. is everywhere!

I am just like the Spanish Inquisition! The Monty Python version of course...

Tom K
USMC (VMFA-115) 90 - 96
ASMIC Member
OVMS member (ready for my 16th SOS in 2019)

donation2016.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

Troy,

Funny Guy! Thanks Tom old buddy, I have more where that came from, but didn't want to tell them all in one night!!

Oh, and that wasn't your first counter balance that night. :wacko:

Troy

USMC 2/2 Fox Co 0311 & 1st Recon Bn Delta Co. 0321. 1986 - 1995 (Desert Storm 90/91)

US Army Long Range Surveillance Co F 425th INF ABN LRS Team 1-6 2003 - 2005 (Iraqi Freedom 03/04)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif