Field bed with questions.

Tyska

Good evening mates,

today i will show you my last item.

Nice ww2 field bed from 1944.

But there is a question about it!Why is webbing to short?

post-111377-0-64138900-1393271009.jpg

post-111377-0-31390300-1393271026.jpg

It has shrunk over the years, and they were tight to begin with. I had two set up years ago and it took some work to install the ends.

Be careful though, the canvas is not as strong as it once was and I had one tear.

RC

That is a nice looking cot, haven't seen one with such a nice marker markings. As RC said, these are always short. To alleviate some stress, you don't have to get the ends onto the dowels. Often you will see these with the end piece slid in under the end of the side rails instead of being on the dowels. This gives you an extra 1-1/2".

It has shrunk over the years, and they were tight to begin with. I had two set up years ago and it took some work to install the ends.

Be careful though, the canvas is not as strong as it once was and I had one tear.

RC

wooow shrunk for 3-5cm!Omg!heavy!

But thanks for the info.

I will try to stretch it very carefully mm for mm in the next time.

They are short so that the material stretches and becomes taunt. This way it supports the weight of the person sleeping on it. If it wasn't taunt the canvas would sag and you would not be able to sleep in it. They are still made that way today. I slept on a aluminum frame one every day for 7 months from Aug 90- Mar 91. They are a pain to put together and it does take some strength to get the last bar set correctly but they provide a lot of support and are very comfortable to sleep in. I would not suggest sleeping in one with out it being assembled properly you may find your self sagging close to the floor and back hurting in the morning.

Mack

They are short so that the material stretches and becomes taunt. This way it supports the weight of the person sleeping on it. If it wasn't taunt the canvas would sag and you would not be able to sleep in it. They are still made that way today. I slept on a aluminum frame one every day for 7 months from Aug 90- Mar 91. They are a pain to put together and it does take some strength to get the last bar set correctly but they provide a lot of support and are very comfortable to sleep in. I would not suggest sleeping in one with out it being assembled properly you may find your self sagging close to the floor and back hurting in the morning.

Mack

I agree.

I have the aluminum and nylon version and used frequently. I found it was too firm with the ends positioned where they were supposed to go. I used it with the head end bar looped over the side rails like in your picture and slept soundly with no sag.

Thanks too all for the nice answers.

I have sleeped one night over it and i thing i would like to trade it.

If someone interestes from Europe let me know.

Mack

Ohh yes, the new ones are BASTARDLY tight.

SOP was to put one side of the bar on, and then put your boot in the upper notch created by the X in the legs and push with your foot while you tugged like a mofo on the bar until you got it seated on the other side.

Some of the things were so tight, you had to lay down in front of the cot and do it, more leverage that way.

I don't think the wood, or the canvas will take this anymore.

Sgt. Boghots

Getting the canvas wet on an old one, then stretching it to proper connection and letting it dry, will sometimes help. Getting one end piece set, then only one end of the other one set, and sliding the stud along the bar with necessary force should help get the last peg in the hole.

Honestly, with markings as nice on the frame as that one, I wouldn't take the risk of damage. Leave as is, IMHO.

Best regards,

Paul

crotalus358

I've gotten BigMoose's trick to work; however, this was on an unissued cot...be careful if yours has seen previous use or has seen exposure to water or UV.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk