Trenchrat - Display work in progress. Opinions welcome!

TrenchRat

'Flage,

Man, thanks so much for that ! As we all know, what we do here is a lobor of love and respect to these old gentlemen who did the unimaginable back in their day, you know?

For that it is well worth the time and effort.

I'm just glad that the "masked mannies" has gotten some appreciation here. I prefer the collection looks like a collection rather than having it look like half people wearing uniforms w/ field gear.

As for the greenbacks invested, well, I must say I have been extremely fortunate to find some of those rare pieces for more than reasonable prices. I reiterate; VERY fortunate, VERY reasonable...

Anyway, check back over the next few days/weeks as I have more figures to detail, including more from the 1900-1916 group, WWI group and WWII group...

Dave,

You'd be surprised. Like all else, it is out there, somewhere. Just takes time to find the right piece at the right price. I have seen 1903 cart. belts go for less than what you may pay for a 1918 cart. belt. Also, fellow collectors are very helpful in passing these items along. Like I mentioned in a previous response, I have been very fortunate in getting some of the early accoutrements at very reasonable costs, boyo. Case in point; many years ago I had purchased an 1878 era NY militia coatee. Must have a been a year or two after that when I came upon the correct shako for the coatee, meaning the shako plate had the proper militia numeral/crest on it. Although you could say that it may not be that great of a find, being that I live in NY, but those where the only two pieces of that particular regiment I had ever seen.

That's not to say, however, that at times you may pay-thru-the-nose for the right item. Some you win, some you lose, eh?

Glenn

US Victory Museum

Wonderful collection! Your displays are outstanding.

P.S.

Are you using children's clothing forms with adult heads?

I had to take a hack-saw to some of my forms and still only

a hand-full of my early uniforms are capable of fitting upon

them.

Wonderful collection! Your displays are outstanding.

P.S.

Are you using children's clothing forms with adult heads?

I had to take a hack-saw to some of my forms and still only

a hand-full of my early uniforms are capable of fitting upon

them.

Hello Victory,

Thanks so much for the compliments ! I must say that I have been an avid reader of many of your posts.

As for the torso's, well no, they are not a child's form. They are these hollow fiberglass torsos I get from an ebay seller in Jersey. Fortunately I find that most of my coats fit the size 38 form I typically buy. I find that if I run a knife up the back and squeeze the shoulders together, I can get a size 37 coat to fit. I may have to pad the torso for a larger coat. I have used the size 36 and 40 as well when applicable. I have one female form that I "doctored" to fit a rather small 1902 coat. I have been lucky in finding decently-sized coats to this point...

The heads I use are the typical styro male heads you can find anywhere on ebay. However, a post here on the forums led me to another site that sells smaller male heads that are just as nice for those smaller hats...

Thanks for the comments; I do appreciate it!

Glenn

Great WWI displays. Don't see one like this everyday!

Matt, thanks for the comment.

I have several more figures from the great war I plan to add to this page very soon. Always had a fascination with WWI gear...

WOW that is a great display. High quality stuff you have there.

Bob

Thanks again for the comments and for your input, Bob. I do appreciate...!

Over the weekend, I progressed ever-so-slightly on the room build. We have other on-going projects in the house so time is limited. But at least I figured out what to do with the wall coverings and the trim. This photo, just like the one in Post #1 shows the latest improvement.

Hopefully I can get the walls done over the week and maybe get the crown moldings going next weekend.

It have waited several years to get this room to look somewhat finished, so this is a long time coming...

Again, any and all comments are welcome...

post-92682-0-47395000-1393861392.jpg

Here are my incomplete BAR team reconstructions. The walls show better here. The top wall covering is actually Hardboard with the rough side facing out.

I had been using hardboard (smooth side up) for the display tables. But, having used carpet for a few near floor level display tables, I think that I will use the same for the table tops (as shown to the left roughed in). It's pretty inexpensive carpet so this works out well in the $$$ department...

post-92682-0-99548800-1393862102.jpg

This display deserves to be pinned if you ask me! Amazing collection.

-Brent

Rot,

Wow, thanks for that ! Hopefully someday it will...

There is still plenty more to come. Haven't really posted any figures from the Second World War yet.

Sill have a few First World War figures to post as well, and some more from the 1900-1916 group. So much to do; so little time to do it in...

Here is my late WWII Marine officer reconstruction.

I took a liberty here regarding the equipment. I have seen several photos showing Marine officers wearing old WWI era .45 magazine pouches, so I figured I wouldn’t be that far off base with it. The rest of the gear includes the 1942 dated first aid pouch, holster, pistol belt and cross-over canteen cover holding a 1942 dated black enamel canteen. I have an early khaki colored set of suspenders and a 1942 dated Boyt haversack. On that is the shovel /cover and shelter half. The KABAR knife is a bring back from my uncle who served on a troop transport in the Pacific. The Map case displayed here is an early USMC issue, and quite scarce...

post-92682-0-13996300-1394028303.jpg

This is my 7th cavalryman, set in the Philippines ca. 1912

The uniform is tailored, not issue. The 7th cavalry/US devices are original to the coat. The only markings are a size ‘38’ hand written inside. The front closure buttons are rimless, while the pocket and epaulet buttons are rimmed. The sleeve cuffs are pointed. The reconstruction is equipped with a mounted 1903 belt with saber ring and saber hangers, haversack and 1904 first aid pouch kept up with a set of 1903 suspenders. The bandolier is actually a field modified mounted 1903 belt (with ring removed-stain plainly visible) with a length of what looks like a haversack strap with snap-hook that is clipped to the female end of the belt’s original hardware. It can be seen in the rear view. The bandolier is actually marked on its rear side to a cavalry unit. The campaign hat is interesting, in that when I received it, no matter how I tried to get the proper “Montana peak” look, the hat naturally fell back to the fore and aft crease as shown. So, I left it as is. It is an early model with shoestring tie..

The 1906 saber is a modern repro with an original knot. Someday I hope to have an original…

post-92682-0-37001700-1394029749.jpg

Infantry,

Glad you like it. Didn't think of doing a Marine until I found the rabbit-ear canteen cover in an art/frame shop in Fredericksburg, Virginia; price was a steal...

Want to add another with the 44 shirt and cartridge belt...if I can get the belt easily enough...

Thanks again...

Glenn