Trenchrat - Display work in progress. Opinions welcome!

TrenchRat

BigDogMilitaria

Outstanding! I think thats the best use of mannequins I have seen on the site. Did you assemble them yourself or did you buy them from a certain spot?

Chucky D,

Thanks so much !!

Pointed Cuffs,

Yes I will shoot the 1900-1916 group over the next few days.

AirCorps;

That is quite a compliment. I am in awe of the displays on this site...I hope to keep up !!

I think the "negative" faces make a huge difference in where the attention is drawn to on each figure. Almost like they are not there. Unfortunately, the camera makes the "whiteness" of the styro show thru more than I'd like them to...

As for the manni's, well no, they are not Webster, they are torsos from a supplier in New Jersey mated to typical male styro heads. Each is cut to fit by, basically, removing the neck from the head and pinning the head to the torso "neck". They are then covered with 2 layers of opaque ladies leggings. I get all these from eBay...('cept the leggings...Target supplies those...).

Maybe I will post a pic of one of then under "construction"?

Hellfish,

Thank you !

I plan on putting one of those mannequins together this evening. Will post images tomorrow....

Good day all.

After posting some overall views of the collection yesterday, I thought I might do some detail pix of the figures that are as of now somewhat complete.

One of my favorites is a reconstruction representing a man from the 18th Inf. Reg., 1st Inf. Div, ca. 1917. He wears a later rimmed-button 1911 winter coat with proper collar divices (18/HQ) and Color Sgt. chevrons (both sleeves) with a full complement of early model 1910 accoutrements. These include a first pattern haversack w/ meat can pouch (held on with original leather laces), early shovel and carrier w/ leather strap, leather 1905 bayonet scabbard w/ 1910 hook, rimless button 1910 cartridge belt and rimless button canteen cover. This figure also carries a 1917-dated respirator carrier with the original first style hardware. The haversack is in as good a condition as I have ever seen, with eyelets intact.

(sorry for the slightly blurred image. Still getting used to the proper settings)...

post-92682-0-93780000-1393340422.jpg

Mark D.,

Thanks so much for that. As we all know, what we do here is a lobor of love and respect to these old gentlemen who did the unimaginable back in their day...

Here is a reconstruction representing a man from a Machine Gun company, ca. 1918. He wears a typical 1917 winter coat with proper collar devices (MG/C) with later model 1910 accoutrements, including a 1918-dated bandolier and Bolo knife (typical for a MG unit).

post-92682-0-72321500-1393344071.jpg

This is my reconstruction of a WWI Artillery Officer. This was a great figure to put together. The coat (and pants) are one of the few ID’d uniforms I have. It was worn by one Robert Warwood and if I recall correctly he was from Philadelphia (according to his train ticket found in the pocket).

Some time after purchasing the uniform I came across the overcoat bearing the same tailor label as Mr. Warwoods uniform. That was too good to pass up. Some time after that I found the overseas cap that matched the two olive tones of the coat and overcoat so I had to have that as well. The only issue with this figure is that the OC bears 1st Lt. sleeve braid while the OS cap has a coffin-style 2nd Lt. bar.

The accoutrements include a decent set of B&L binoculars w/ case, 1910 haversack, 1912 pistol belt, private purchase swivel holster for the 1917 revolver and revolver ammo pouch.

post-92682-0-92003400-1393346431.jpg

Chucky D,

Thanks so much !!

Pointed Cuffs,

Yes I will shoot the 1900-1916 group over the next few days.

AirCorps;

That is quite a compliment. I am in awe of the displays on this site...I hope to keep up !!

I think the "negative" faces make a huge difference in where the attention is drawn to on each figure. Almost like they are not there. Unfortunately, the camera makes the "whiteness" of the styro show thru more than I'd like them to...

As for the manni's, well no, they are not Webster, they are torsos from a supplier in New Jersey mated to typical male styro heads. Each is cut to fit by, basically, removing the neck from the head and pinning the head to the torso "neck". They are then covered with 2 layers of opaque ladies leggings. I get all these from eBay...('cept the leggings...Target supplies those...).

Maybe I will post a pic of one of then under "construction"?

I was really interested in how you devised the heads, they look very professional and the "blacked out" effect is very pleasing to the eye.

Great collection, great setup! I love those sun helmets.

17th,

Thanks for the compliment...finding the proper gear is the best part....!

TS,

You know, I was wondering what the good folks on the forums here would say about the "blakout" heads. Of course, some folks who come to the house find them a bit "funny" and I get a fair amount of jabs and strange looks, but it seems from the feedback here that it was a good decision. And thank you for your compliments; I certainly do appreciate all the feedback...!

Anyway, as for mating the heads to the torsos, well, they will look a bit "funny" before the sox go on. I will be putting one together later on this evening. You will see the gory details...

Here is my WWI Corpsman. Again this reconstruction wears the 1917 army coat and helmet (complete with what appears to be some caked on mud (French mud I hope).

The accoutrements include a medic belt, canteen with the somewhat rare hanger, a diagnostic tag pouch and hatchet in its carrier along with a set of 1912 Cavalry Ration bags (typically used by the medical department). The respirator bag is slung around the pack. Also hanging from the belt is an army torch, complete with an eagle snap fastener.

Now, the brassard is not the typical US model as expected. This is supposedly a German WWI medic brassard. Not entirely sure if this is true or not. But for now, it looks quite nice where it is. If anyone would know more about it, please let me know…

post-92682-0-78100500-1393350219.jpg