Poss. WWI USMC First Aide Pouch?

TrenchRat

Good day all.

I have been searching these forums regarding the best way to ID an authentic USMC First World War era First Aid pouch. I almost believe I have one but for the marking on the inside flap.

Firstly the shape looks like the ones I have seen on these forums. Sencondly, the fasteners are CARR patent dated 1913 as they should be. However, I believe the hanger is not the correct one. Then there is the stamp on the inside flap. It looks to be "US 191X", the X being either a "0" "8" or a "6" maybe. I would doubt the unclear digit to be a "0" due to the Carr 1913 patent date. So, I look to you most knowledgable on the subject for your opinions.

Thanks in advance for any information you may provide!!

First image:

post-92682-0-54235300-1393252739.jpg

The inside flap and such. Again, the Carr fasteners are patent dated 1913. Also shown is the marking "US 191X":

post-92682-0-13570600-1393252942.jpg

Looks good to me. Just an FYI, I store mine with the wire hook removed. The eyelets are almost always messed up with these pouches and I figure if they lay flat it'll be less wear on them.

Tim

Buff and key,

Awesome, thanks ! I figured as much, but I didn't want to make the determination on my own. I like the idea of storing the pouch as you suggest.

BTW, any thoughts on the hanger and stamping? I have not seen one with a stamp such as that...the Marine's names only...

Hi !

Great pouch... Looking at the pictures it looks U.S.1918 or 1913... Never seen a stamp like that...

By the way, always looking at the pictures I noticed that the eyelets look not identical. One (left) is flat and a little rusty while the other (right) looks more rounded and bright. Maybe a field repair? Anyway, great pouch !

Cheers

Fausto

Key and Fausto,

Yes...that is what bothers me about the pouch - the stamp.

Key, glad you "are good" with the hanger. I was under the impression that the USMC used a variation of the 1910 hanger...but maybe not this early?!?!

Fausto, I didn't even notice the eyelets appear mismatched, I will need to get another look at it this evening, but yes, in the pix they do look different...

Also, the popular opinion from others who have seen the pouch stamp close-up seems to be 1918 or even 1919...I'd prefer 1918, 1913 or 1916 for obvious reasons!

I wouldn't bother that much about the stamp... I would swear that it is very old, legit and original... If a faker wanted to increase the appeal of the pouch he should have put on it USMC or something like that, as we often see on WWI .45 mag pouches (horror...) and other items... Every now and then strange stamps pop up on old web gear, and many times they are legit...

Yes, the USMC "bent" hangers appeared - as far as I know - later, maybe in 1939-40, and are always seen on DQP 3rd type FA pouches, but some USMC guy will surely be more accurate than me...

Fausto

Upland,

Thanks for the hearty approval !

Fausto,

Thanks for the re-assurance; and also thanks for the further info on the "bent" hanger; it is quite different...

vmfa314,

Thanks for another verification...just what I whant to hear...

airborne53,

Good question....I'll take a look tonight. IIRC, it is not brass...but not 100% sure...

• 4 weeks later...
jackconaway

hello

all models , 4 found in france , last model came from USA

100_6712.jpg

100_6713.jpg

100_6714.jpg

olivier

wow! amazing pouches! are they all yours?

hello

all models , 4 found in france , last model came from USA

-Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Nice assortment!

I'm guessing it was the 'type III' pouch that came from USA? I wonder if your earliest pouches have remained in France since WWI?

Interesting that none appear to have any names or markings. The majority out of the U.S. are typically named, sometimes to multiple Marines.

It also appears your 'type I' has a loose grommet, pretty typical of these first variation. Mine is also missing one grommet as with many others I've seen.

Regards,

-Steve

I wonder if your earliest pouches have remained in France since WWI?

-Steve

l think yes , the green on upper left have USN brass packet dated 1915 inside

type III came from usa for fair price

grommet pull out but stay in hanger !!!

thanks

olivier