Women's Uniforms in Vietnam Photos

gwb123

For those who collect Vietnam Uniforms, one of the hardest thing to find a good resource for is uniforms worn by women. This despite an estimated 7,500 women serving in-country, and not counting those assigned to Thailand, the PI and Korea during the conflict.

I stumbled across this site while researching another topic.

http://www.spencergroup.net/vwv/memories.htm

These are mostly personal photographs, but there are some interesting details if you look closely.

For example, in this one we show a female airman wearing a Class B uniform with trousers and the blouse tucked in.

The NCO wearing the female version of the hot weather fatigues has an ARVN QC (Military Police) patch on her shoulder. This is the first I have ever seen of that.

USAF_Women_5_small.JPG

Some additional photos from the same website....

Soldier pulling Security Guard duty (quite possibly at the entrance to the Women's Quarters) Note the marked helmet liner and highly polished boots. If this was taken in Vietnam, one wonders if there was a loaded clip of ammunition nearby.

Soldier receiving a medal. There is a wealth of detail in this photo, including a 1st AVN Bde shoulder patch (I have never seen this before on a female soldier's uniform), a unit pocket patch, metal SP/5 collar insignia, and the soldier's name embroidered into the front of her boonie hat. Also note that she is actually using her sleeve pocket to store something.

US_Army_Women_3_small.JPG

US_Army_Women_2_small.JPG

Some US Army Class B uniforms....

A cake cutting ceremony... there were a number of photos like this and they all appear to be tied to the 25th anniversary of the Women's Army Corps.

Note the variety of patches worn on the front of the uniform.

The next shows one of the gaudiest uniform combinations to come out of the 1960's. These appear to be for some sort of color guard.

For additional photos and information, please see the website.

US_Army_Women_1_small.JPG

US_Army_Women_4_small.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

These are very neat pieces of history. Any idea approximately how many nurses served in country in Vietnam?

By the way, would be great to see some more! :)

Hi,

In US Navy Hospital Saigon the medical staff was the following : 9 doctors, 16 nurses and 84 corpsmen.

Aboard AH ships the medical crew was 24 doctors, 29 nurses and 250 corpsmen.

Best

Croc

• 4 months later...
These are very neat pieces of history. Any idea approximately how many nurses served in country in Vietnam?

By the way, would be great to see some more! :)

sorry i dont know the answer but you reminded me its been a few yrs since i read this....

http://www.amazon.com/Women-War-Military-V...7515&sr=8-2

so got it out and started it again!!

there may be an answer there....

Sorry if this duplicates any info on the forums ....this is my first post..!!

im off to introduce myself now... thumbsup.gif

• 2 months later...
A cake cutting ceremony... there were a number of photos like this and they all appear to be tied to the 25th anniversary of the Women's Army Corps. Note the variety of patches worn on the front of the uniform. The next shows one of the gaudiest uniform combinations to come out of the 1960's. These appear to be for some sort of color guard.

The uniforms in the first and second photo are actually the same uniforms. :) They're the green corded summer uniform that was introduced in the late 50's and worn until the late 70's. They were worn either with the garrison cap or the green dress hat.

Considering they were in service so long, they are relatively difficult to find, especially when compared to how common WWII uniforms turn up at auction. The Marine Corps also had a green corded uniform like the Army one, but it had different sleeves. The Navy used the same design in blue and white cord.

Any idea approximately how many nurses served in country in Vietnam?

According to the VA, 7,484 military women served in Vietnam, out of which 6,250 were nurses.

There were also USO workers, civilian nurses, humanitarian aid workers, German nurses aboard a German hospital ship, female war correspondents (about 400, from various countries), and a variety of other female workers in Vietnam.

post-467-1230881743.jpg

My mom in Vietnam, 1970. She was/is a nurse.

From flickr.com, Luxey's photostream.

What are you writing Andrei, post newer day shock? But I can say that this woman is not you're Mom :lol:

Cheers

Thanks for these nice pics

Valery

What are you writing Andrei, post newer day shock? But I can say that this woman is not you're Mom :lol:

Cheers

Thanks for these nice pics

Valery

I did not change my name for Luxey... think.gif

Jeff Ashenfelter
post-2827-1231169154.jpgGreat photos I always enjoy color shots taken in Vietnam! Here is a shot of a Nurses set that I have had for awhile. Nothing fancy but still hard to come by, Jeff

Here is a shot of a Nurses set that I have had for awhile. Nothing fancy but still hard to come by, Jeff

Question for you, Jeff. There are two styles of women's shirts - the ones with the pockets on the chest, like most photos in this thread, and the ones with the pockets at the bottom, like your uniform set (I think). Is there any rhyme or reason as to who wore what? I've always heard / seen in photos that the ones with the pockets up top were nurses' and the ones with the pocket at the bottom WACs - but, obviously, as yours has the pockets at the bottom, that may not be the case. Any info on that?

On a related note, when did they go from the pockets on the front of the women's trousers to the pockets on the side? I have a set of each, both Vietnam dated (one late 60's, the other 71). Just curious when it changed from one to the other.

post-467-1231193605.jpg

This was taken in early 1970 in QuangTri ... I took them on an expedition to Hue and the Citadel ... and on to visit GiaLong's tomb. Didn't taken them along my extended tour because of the apparent danger ... they were too new in-country. Picture and text by Chris Banigan.

post-467-1231193715.jpg

Chris Banigan

Check this link for Chris Banigan's pictures in Vietnam : http://www.illyria.com/vnchris1.html

Hi,

I think shirt with lower pockets were made post war, I saw a set with Chest pockets with DSA 74, while any shirt with lower pockets I ve seen had DSA after 76 or DLA...

Question for you, Jeff. There are two styles of women's shirts - the ones with the pockets on the chest, like most photos in this thread, and the ones with the pockets at the bottom, like your uniform set (I think). Is there any rhyme or reason as to who wore what? I've always heard / seen in photos that the ones with the pockets up top were nurses' and the ones with the pocket at the bottom WACs - but, obviously, as yours has the pockets at the bottom, that may not be the case. Any info on that?

On a related note, when did they go from the pockets on the front of the women's trousers to the pockets on the side? I have a set of each, both Vietnam dated (one late 60's, the other 71). Just curious when it changed from one to the other.

post-467-1231194582.jpg

post-467-1231194598.jpg

After officers and basic training at Fort Sam Houston, Martha served as a 1st Lieutenant in the U.S. Army's Nurse Corps. She served in Vietnam with the 6th Convalescent Center at Cam Ranh Bay from October 1968 to May 1969 and transferred to the 312th Evacuation Hospital at Chu Lai from May 1969 to October 1969. Many of her photos show the medical and other civil interactions the military had through MedCAP and Vietnamization programs which started in the late 1960's.