1944 Kit

soonerman

No, they're a very late 1944 to early 1945 production item, first seen in use in March/April 1945. Great for 17th Airborne in the Rhine Crossing or some of the new/re-equipped units moving into Czechoslovakia, but that's about it.

Cheers,

Glen.

PS thanks Johan & atb ;)

Yes, I can't find any hard proof evidence of a QMC information on the suspender changes in '43 and collector call them the M43 pattern which help to tell the early pattern from the later pattern but here is a web site that has great information on the changes in gear & clothing.

It talks about the M43 suspenders? ether way in 1943 their was some major changes to just about all but a few items to the US Army gear & clothing and most of it got the new QMC M1943 pattern name the only non changes is to the m1938 wire cutters pouch, map case, musette bag, cartridge belt, pick cover, hatchet cover, jeep cap and the m1916 holster I know of?

If I could find a WWII pattern print drawing of the new M1936 suspenders changes in 1943 this would tell more on the changes and what model name they were given to them, it would show up on the print drawing.

We all here can't denial that changes were made to the susender for the better. Bigger D rings, more padding and reinforcement which none of the early M36 had and GI's complained about the down falls of the earlier suspenders.

Craig

http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_ww2webgear.php

Hi Craig,

The M43 name only came around because "old-school" collectors without the mass of information available these days tried to put a name to these suspenders but found that M44 and M45 were already used up by the respective suspenders from the later pack sets and the M43 name was chosen as it was the closest date available to the year(s) these were produced (fall of 1944 to early 1945). The design change is nothing to do with 1943 here.

The actual design change introduced in 1943 is the reinforcement to the shoulder and the lack of the rivet on the front straps (not needed as they were sewn into place by the reinforcment piece sewing), giving the type of suspenders 5th from the left in Johan's new photo. This type begins to make it to the front lines in the ETO over the summer of 1944 (post D-Day). If any type deserves the name "M43" it would be this type. It's still be worng though... hahaha

Cheers,

Glen.

ps John (soonerman - you an Okie?), this is the fun of getting it right.... being all picky on the details... ;)

Hey Glen,

Thanks for the information and yes I know were your commimg from. I work here in the US in manufacturing tooling sector for just about 30 years now.

Everything that is done in the shop there is production numbers or model numbers that the customers supply to us so there is no confusion when the tooling and or the product is being revised or repaired its the way manufaturing is done and figured it would apply to way the US Army had done things?

In 2015 the streets of Europe will be invaded but the new Ford Mustang and yes it will be right hand drive for the British country men and why I say this, the shop I work for is doing all the developing and the die building for the new mustang dash. When the tooling is done it will be sent to a subcontractor of Ford to go into production so it something I had my hands into.

The Ford Mustang was built back in 1964 to be a tribute to the P51 Mustangs of WWII.

I realy like your 2nd Armor web site Glen it's a very nice group of guys and machines pictured, I have a good friend that is a WWII officer of the 2nd Armored DIV infantry patoon, he was at Carnetan and later became a POW. Lynn is still living and is a joy to talk with about the WWII war stories. I have a few of his personal items in my collecting and when I saw your web site it bring me back to visting with him.

Craig

• 1 year later...

I'm only posting this a year late, but...

In case anyone wants to see an interesting variant of the "1943 suspenders" the Norwegians copied them post WWII. They can be found rather cheap via online surplus stores.

tdogchristy90

I'm only posting this a year late, but...

In case anyone wants to see an interesting variant of the "1943 suspenders" the Norwegians copied them post WWII. They can be found rather cheap via online surplus stores.

Thank you for reposting. The thread helped give me some direction since returning.

The same goes for the m1942 Jungle pack to the M1943 field pack the same basic pack but improved changes over the old pack sytems which was not much but a change.

Yes, the same is true, but not in the way you indicate: the Jungle Pack and the Field Pack were also never given these model designations by the Army. This is all just more collector nonsense.

This one has:

M1 helmet (fixed bales) and net

M1941 HBT fatigue cap

M1941 Jacket

British gas detection brassard

HBT jacket and pants

EM trousers belt

M1938 leggings and russet leather service shoes

M5 assault gas mask and bag

USN M1926 lifebelt

M1923 cartridge belt

M1928 British made haversack and M1910 T-handle shovel

M1 bayonet

M1910 canteen

M1924 first aid pouch

M1938 wire cutters

General purpose waterproof bag

Everything is dated prior D-Day.

(green plastic cover and the M1 Garand are not shown here)

happy hunting (collecting) :)

Dan

post-154224-0-57338200-1434494932.jpg