1944 Kit

soonerman

Wanting to set up a D-Day Field Gear set for starters.

I have some stuff right now, and just need help on what to look for next.

What I have:

M1944 Suspenders, O.D.#7 (have a feeling I will need M1936 instead)

M1923, Belt, Cartridge, Cal .30, Dismounted. O.D.#7

(2) M1924 Carlisle Pouches (1 large and 1 small version)<<<<That's just from comparison between the two.

(3) Carlisle Bandages in tins (1 mint)

(1) Carlisle Bandage in Waxed cardboard

(1) "Complete Cleaning Kit" on the way... (we'll see what it's missing)

Think I need:

M1936 Suspenders

M1936 Musette Bag

Canteen, cup and cover (currently working on an order)

Mess Kit

E-tool and cover

Probably more that I can't think of right now. The Daytona 500 has me too excited. B)

Thanks, and take care!

What kind of soldier do you want to depict? That and unit can affect the 'typical' equipment a particular soldier would have worn on D-Day.

Just at a glance, you do need the M1936 suspenders if you are not going with an M1928 haversack.

What date is on the 1923 belt? The accepted view is that OD7 web gear started to be produced in late 43 and began to come into issue in numbers after Normandy. The 44 suspenders would have also been issued after Normandy, 1936 suspenders being the norm for those with a musette bag. There is a lag time from production to issue that can be months and to the supply people they made no distinction based on color of equipment, a 1923 belt was a 1923 belt. Units of the 3rd Army such as 4th AD went into Normandy in early July 1944 and they had several new pieces of equipment as basically standard such as 2 buckle boots and 43 e-tools. They received these items because they were still in England when the items arrived and were issued out. Those units already in the field would have gotten new items when they came off the line and replaced worn out or lost gear. Unless you doing an Officer, Paratrooper, or Armored infantry representation than the standard pack would have been the 28 pack. The larger First aid kit is the 1942 the smaller the the 1924 both have Lift the dot fasteners. The 1910 is smaller than both and has snaps. The FA tins fit all three pouches, The waxed box fits only in the 1942 FAP. 43 folding and 1910 shovels would have been available to troops going ashore on D-Day with 1910's being more prevalent.

Mack

I used most I could of the US British made gear. I have the M1928 Brit made pack with the m1910 shovel cover and the gas brassard also I don't have is the m1926 Navy belt on the guy it gets to be too much.

Craig

post-7997-0-02325300-1393291753.jpg

What kind of soldier do you want to depict? That and unit can affect the 'typical' equipment a particular soldier would have worn on D-Day.

Just at a glance, you do need the M1936 suspenders if you are not going with an M1928 haversack.

Initially, I was thinking Airborne, But can't make up my mind on the whole deal....

Maybe post-landing? After dumping the chute...

What date is on the 1923 belt? The accepted view is that OD7 web gear started to be produced in late 43 and began to come into issue in numbers after Normandy. The 44 suspenders would have also been issued after Normandy, 1936 suspenders being the norm for those with a musette bag. There is a lag time from production to issue that can be months and to the supply people they made no distinction based on color of equipment, a 1923 belt was a 1923 belt. Units of the 3rd Army such as 4th AD went into Normandy in early July 1944 and they had several new pieces of equipment as basically standard such as 2 buckle boots and 43 e-tools. They received these items because they were still in England when the items arrived and were issued out. Those units already in the field would have gotten new items when they came off the line and replaced worn out or lost gear. Unless you doing an Officer, Paratrooper, or Armored infantry representation than the standard pack would have been the 28 pack. The larger First aid kit is the 1942 the smaller the the 1924 both have Lift the dot fasteners. The 1910 is smaller than both and has snaps. The FA tins fit all three pouches, The waxed box fits only in the 1942 FAP. 43 folding and 1910 shovels would have been available to troops going ashore on D-Day with 1910's being more prevalent.

Mack

The 1923 belt is dated '44.

Very good info there. Thanks!

I used most I could of the US British made gear. I have the M1928 Brit made pack with the m1910 shovel cover and the gas brassard also I don't have is the m1926 Navy belt on the guy it gets to be too much.

Craig

Very nice!

That looks like a great collection!

I will have to slow down my purchasing....sheesh this stuff can add up when you have an itchy trigger finger on a mouse with such a light trigger pull!

Johan Willaert

For reference here's my original D-Day 29th mannequin...

Here's a complete list of items on it:

M1 Helmet
Field Jacket M1941
Wool Shirt & Trousers
M1938 Leggins - 20
Service Schoes Reverse Upper
Assault Type Gasmask
Rifle Cartridge Belt
Canteen
First Aid Pouch
Parachute First Aid Pouch
M1928 Haverpack
M1910 Entrenching Tool
Bangalore Torpedoes
Gas Brassard
Bajonet M1
M1 Rifle Garand Springfield Armory
2 x Ammo Bandoleer

post-92-0-49267900-1393406244.jpg

Here is a few other items to add to your list. The compass, M1938 wire cutters ( not pictured) a silk invasion map of Normandy France , safe conduct pass for the surrendering Nazi's, water proof bags for the Garand, carbine and 45 cal.

post-7997-0-81752900-1393462903.jpg

post-7997-0-77013900-1393462939.jpg

What about M1943 suspenders?

I've located a really nice pair...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Yes they made M1943 suspender, they are made the same as the M36 but are more beefer and extra padding up on the shoulders. M36 left and M43 right

Craig

post-7997-0-36520500-1393720266.jpg

But they're not M43 suspenders. There is no such designation. That is a made-up collector term to try and explain what these things are.

Your photograph shows ALL M36 suspenders...

- the "normal" type

- British-made

- late 1943/early 1944 production with the extra reinforcement

- 3 pairs of late 1944/early 1945 production with the simplified D-ring. These were made DURING/AFTER production of the M1944 Suspenders.

Cheers,

Glen.

Glen,

Yes they are the same style suspender but they are a improvement over the early suspenders. In 1943 the US Army made big changes in all it's field gear and clothing some was small and some not so, if you look at the M1944 & 45 pack system they are the same packs but have different ways of connecting the top to the bottom and a model change year was made also with the pack system change, a year earlier the suspenders were changed with them and in early 1944 the more improved suspenders came out as we call the M43 suspenders.

When every their is a change small or big their is a model year change on the gear or clothing just like in WWI you have the m1912 pistol belt and then came the M1936 pistol belt only difference is the loop for the sword hanger on the bottom edge the same exact belt but a model year change was done when they removed the loop

The same goes for the cartridge belts models, the same ten pocket cartridge belts from WWI to WWII but a add strip on the inside the pocket m1917 them the m1923

The same goes for the m1942 Jungle pack to the M1943 field pack the same basic pack but improved changes over the old pack sytems which was not much but a change.

I looked at ordering these suspenders from at the front and they call them the M43 suspenders and they had years of research on the gear they reproduce. The pictured I posted was from a old thread here showing the difference from the M36 to the M43's

Craig

Feel free to show me ANY actual QM Corps documents listing the M43 suspenders, Craig, and I'll let you win. Any official documentation in fact, from whichever Corps. Good luck... ;)

Cheers,

Glen.

Hi Johan,

I used it off one of the old thread to show the difference, its a super nice photo of nice suspender ! Sorry, I should of asked first.

Craig

Johan Willaert

No harm done, Craig, glad you like the picture...

Here's an updated one, with another variation M36 on the left and M1944 on the right.

I agree with Glenn that the M1943 nomenclature is purely a collector term though..'

post-92-0-84804200-1393787682.jpg

Yes they made M1943 suspender, they are made the same as the M36 but are more beefer and extra padding up on the shoulders. M36 left and M43 right

Craig

Glen is correct- M1936 and M1944. There were different patterns (small "p") of the M1936, but no Army designation of "M1943." But, the collector mania for applying an official sounding model designation to everything is understandable. How else do we keep things straight when discussing this stuff?

Well that was fun. Collector nomenclature being official or not aside, it does help us (as we are collectors) and makes it easier to differentiate.

This is the pair I saw that made me ask:

Posted Image

So I'm guessing these had a mid-late 44 mfg?