D-Day Paratrooper Groupings

cperkins501

Here's my little group to add to this thread. The small group relates to LT William 'Bill' Brunsman who served with the 505th PIR. LT Brunsman was awarded the Silver Star for Gallantry in action, Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster and Presidential Unit Citation with Oak Leaf Cluster, four Jump Stars and one Bronze Arrowhead on his European Theater Ribbon. LT Brunsman participated in all the 505th's combat jumps. He was also involved in the Battle of the Bulge, where he was wounded in the foot while taking out German Pillboxes. He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions. The photo shows 'Bill' during his time in the UK, a photo of a friend and a local girl as well as a 505th PIR Christmas Card dated 1944 which was sent to friends in the UK. The Christmas Card is a nice historical piece as the 505th were heavily involved at Bastone during that time. His parachute qualification is made by 'Gaunt' and is on a 505th English made oval. This group came from a girl Bill met whilst in the UK prior to D Day and remained in her jewelery box since 1944.

Paul

This is my Father. Greg Brunsman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, so I haven't got the best pictures or all the info yet, but I just got this. Belonged to Robert L Brown, the Ike is named, who earned his PH 6/7/44. Parachute piece was cut by him and the photo envelope was from where the 508th was stationed after the war. More to come!post-157542-0-00656600-1438227513.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this one deserved a nicer picture.

CPT Heber Minton, commanded Company B 506th PIR.

I found the overseas cap laying on a table at the SOS this past year. It has what I think is a Brit made paraglide patch on the other side. It isn't Minton's (at least I don't think it is :)), but bears a striking resemblance to the one he is wearing in the well known picture of him taken in Austria at the end of the war...

post-110-0-66000400-1439150455.jpg

post-110-0-99517900-1439150553.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is another uniform that belonged to a D-Day hero. SSG Ho//war-d B//o-rts served in Company G, 3rd Battalion 502nd PIR.

He received the Bronze Star on 3 July 1945 for service between 6 June 1944 and 8 May 1945.

He was wounded twice in Normandy, and as a member of LTC Cole's 3rd Battalion no doubt participated in the famous bayonet charge at Carentan that earned Cole the Medal of Honor.

post-110-0-11096000-1449932395.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Fabulous groupings, living 20 miles away from Toccoa, GA and also being a modern day Paratrooper, I have had the fortune of meeting and talking to several WW II Airborne veterans.... Humble and Proud men...

• 2 months later...

CPT William P. Heaton. Heaton served throughout the war w/ the 501st PIR 101st ABN, to include Normandy. He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions at the Bulge. The jacket has some beautiful insignia on it. A green back "white tongue" 101st patch, 501 oval and a set of WWII Meyer Sterling wings

post-110-0-88463500-1459521867.jpg

George M. Oros 508th PIR (Collar brass states F. Co while internet searches show HQ & HQ Co.) Made D-Day, passed in 2001.

post-19184-0-89259000-1459558951.jpg

• 1 month later...

These are all awesome groupings. The picture that is attached was of my Grandfather in Holland taking a German prisoner. He was a part of Company C, 326th Airborne Engineers Battalion, 101st Airborne Division. Sadly many of his items have been separated among family members. This post has motivated me to go and track down the items from family members.

Here is his story if you are interested. http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/loc.natlib.afc2001001.53878/

post-162566-0-87868800-1462306125.jpg

tarheeltim

These are all awesome groupings. The picture that is attached was of my Grandfather in Holland taking a German prisoner. He was a part of Company C, 326th Airborne Engineers Battalion, 101st Airborne Division. Sadly many of his items have been separated among family members. This post has motivated me to go and track down the items from family members.

Here is his story if you are interested. http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/loc.natlib.afc2001001.53878/

Cool photo! Looks like he's already acquired several souvenirs. Looks like a German bayonet scabbard coming out from under his jacket, and a "potato masher" grenade in his right pants pocket. Looks like there might also be a German canteen hanging from his gear in front.

Jeeper704

Holland?

Turqueville, France, on 7 June, 1944. Wilbur Shanklin posed, holding his M-1, with fixed bayonet on a rather terrified German officer (identifiable as such by his belt). Shanklin belonged to RHQ/506th PIR and the German was quite likely a member of the 795th Ost Battalion.

http://www.101airborneww2.com/warstories2.html

:o

Erwin

BILL THE PATCH

Anyone notice the kraut resembles Hitler a little?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

The profile states John Kutz Sr but the photo is atribbutted to another trooper of the 506th in the Bando article.Was there an error in the 506th attribution?

Under his profile I didnt see Holland listed was this left out? as it stated Normandy,France,Belgium,Bastogne and POW.

ph0001001i.jpg

John Kutz in service uniform

Very Interesting! I was always told, and he even told me that it was him. I was the one who did the project, however, I may have missed the Holland attribution. Time to ask some questions.

jonesy1275

post-72146-0-78434300-1462449467.jpg

Definitely taken at Turqueville in Normandy. Wilbur Shanklin who was I believe HQ/506th PIR. Here I am at the exact location last June during the D-Day commemorations.