D-Day Paratrooper Groupings

cperkins501

Here is another uniform group that started out as a late war/occupation 82nd group but turned in to a D-Day group with some research. I bought this pile of stuff from the family of Gilbert L. B//aker. Research turned up the fact that Baker was a very late war replacement in the 82nd, serving in the 505th and 508th PIRs. He also served in the occupation. Baker was awarded neither a PH or CIB. As it turns out, the Ike jacket and shirt were Baker's based on the laundry marks. The 4 pocket has a different laundry # in it (B8025), which researches out to another man, William P. Bro//wn, HQ1 508th. Brown was a pre-DDay replacement in the 508th, jumped in to Normandy and Holland where he was wounded. The group also contained a named Brit cut down 82nd officer jacket which I am still researching. I have no idea how the family came by all of these items, but it probably has to do with both men serving in the same unit.

post-110-0-49716400-1413631160.jpg

post-110-0-87110300-1413631165.jpg

post-110-0-70024300-1413631169.jpg

Thanks! My collection pales in comparison to some of the member's though. My hobby has really become researching them. I derive a lot of satisfaction out of putting the history back with an artifact.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I will post some pictures of my groupings.

Michael Donovan - 82 A/B - 3rd Auxillary Surgical Group - 307th Medical Co.

He crash landed by glider on D-Day night at Blosville. He then set up the aid station at Blosville and moved with the 82nd through Normandy.

post-4730-0-07365300-1417613294.jpg

post-4730-0-74632300-1417613313.jpg

Regards

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my little group to add to this thread. The small group relates to LT William 'Bill' Brunsman who served with the 505th PIR. LT Brunsman was awarded the Silver Star for Gallantry in action, Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster and Presidential Unit Citation with Oak Leaf Cluster, four Jump Stars and one Bronze Arrowhead on his European Theater Ribbon. LT Brunsman participated in all the 505th's combat jumps. He was also involved in the Battle of the Bulge, where he was wounded in the foot while taking out German Pillboxes. He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions. The photo shows 'Bill' during his time in the UK, a photo of a friend and a local girl as well as a 505th PIR Christmas Card dated 1944 which was sent to friends in the UK. The Christmas Card is a nice historical piece as the 505th were heavily involved at Bastone during that time. His parachute qualification is made by 'Gaunt' and is on a 505th English made oval. This group came from a girl Bill met whilst in the UK prior to D Day and remained in her jewelery box since 1944.

Paul

post-101786-0-38623000-1419831523.jpg

post-101786-0-82972700-1419831544.jpg

post-101786-0-69729500-1419831560.jpg

• 1 month later...

"PS Why haven't you written?" I take it her and Bill didn't get back together after the war?

Here's my little group to add to this thread. The small group relates to LT William 'Bill' Brunsman who served with the 505th PIR. LT Brunsman was awarded the Silver Star for Gallantry in action, Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster and Presidential Unit Citation with Oak Leaf Cluster, four Jump Stars and one Bronze Arrowhead on his European Theater Ribbon. LT Brunsman participated in all the 505th's combat jumps. He was also involved in the Battle of the Bulge, where he was wounded in the foot while taking out German Pillboxes. He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions. The photo shows 'Bill' during his time in the UK, a photo of a friend and a local girl as well as a 505th PIR Christmas Card dated 1944 which was sent to friends in the UK. The Christmas Card is a nice historical piece as the 505th were heavily involved at Bastone during that time. His parachute qualification is made by 'Gaunt' and is on a 505th English made oval. This group came from a girl Bill met whilst in the UK prior to D Day and remained in her jewelery box since 1944.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Around Christmas, I found this jacket being sold by a pawn shop. A family member had pawned it and never returned. The medals were folded up inside the discharge documents and stuffed in the pocket. The discharge documents are very old photo static copies that would have been maintained by the vet's county offices. He served throughout the war with the 325th GIR and 194th GIR, serving in every campaign to include D-Day and Market Garden. The third star on his glider wings is unusual. Although his record isn't complete enough to say with certainty, I believe he also did Varsity w/ the 194th.

post-110-0-16057300-1426942489.jpg