D-Day Paratrooper Groupings

cperkins501

I know a lot of us have great items from members of the WWII parachute troops. If anyone has a grouping from a D-Day paratrooper, I'd love to see them! I'll try to post some of mine, if I can ever get my pictures uploaded.

Here is one of my D-Day paratrooper groupings. He was a Lieutenant with F Co., 505 PIR, 82nd Airborne. He jumped into Sicily, Salerno, Normandy, and Holland, and was wounded near Ste. Saveur Le Vicomte and in Nijmegen.

post-81760-0-73348200-1393304526.png

Here is another. He was a member of the 501 Demolition Platoon and later G. Co. He jumped Normandy and Holland before fighting in the Bulge. Not sure why he had a post-war 501 DI. Probably from a reunion, but was in with the other items. I like the way that he buffed the jump wings so that they are somewhat smooth.

post-81760-0-26293100-1393304733.jpg

Heres mine.

Battailon Surgeon who was at Normandy,Holland,the Bulge,Germany and was the Football Team doctor as well till rotating home.

post-342-0-78620500-1393305633.jpg

Caps.The chocolate one is english made.The silk maps were both his.He had a couple dozen of them.He stated they carried them in the liners of the helmets for added padding.I also have a paper map he carried/used in Mijmegen.He circled an area where his aid station was located during the battle there.

post-342-0-51328300-1393305910.jpg

Wow! That is a beautiful grouping. It's just so complete. I'm surprised he had so many sets of wings, especially with devices. I always figured that troopers tended to own several sets of wings, but probably only decorated one with devices, if any, since it could be a pain to get to the regimental dentist or whoever was drilling the wings. Very cool!

Wow! That is a beautiful grouping. It's just so complete. I'm surprised he had so many sets of wings, especially with devices. I always figured that troopers tended to own several sets of wings, but probably only decorated one with devices, if any, since it could be a pain to get to the regimental dentist or whoever was drilling the wings. Very cool!

Thanks

He was a unique individual.Very humble.He was wounded at Normandy as well.He took a piece of shrapnel in his left arm and removed and sewed up the wound himself.I had read the account of this in a book put out by a unit member.When I asked him about why he didnt have the purple heart he bluntly stated he refused to be put in for one.In his words he had seen so many traumatic head wounds and limb amputations he didnt feel his "scratch" warrented the medal.It was a honor to know him.

He had a few other wings as well.One was an english made set with two stars mounted on two pieces of hand cut thin leather.one color was white the other black and they were layered to form the colors of the 508th wing oval.Some place I have a couple mopre of his wings.

Man, I love the jump jackets that have pocket patches sewn on the chest. Great way to show that unit pride. That is a pristine piece. Do you have any other items from that local vet?

Man, I love the jump jackets that have pocket patches sewn on the chest. Great way to show that unit pride. That is a pristine piece. Do you have any other items from that local vet?

No but he has a footlocker full.You should see the custom tailored football jacket he has.Made in gernany with bullion 508th pocket patch.

Heres my only D-Day Paratrooper Group, named dress uniform to 1st Lt. Albert Hassenzahl C co. 506th PIR Company commander, wounded 4 times including a severe wound at Normandy, won the Silver Star for defense of regimental CP in Holland, also his "Curahee" book named on the inside, theres more to tis one but its tucked away at the moment, the scarf actually belongs to another 101st Artillery Officer group, I put it on here for display.

Fritz

post-4127-0-64962600-1394070402.jpg

post-4127-0-83025500-1394070412.jpg

cperkins501

What a neat grouping! Lt. Hassenzahl shared his experience of being wounded in Normandy in Patrick O'Donnell's book "Beyond Valor." Very interesting first person account. Any chance you knew the Lt. or had the chance to hear his stories in person?

• 2 weeks later...
American Heritage

Caps.The chocolate one is english made.The silk maps were both his.He had a couple dozen of them.He stated they carried them in the liners of the helmets for added padding.I also have a paper map he carried/used in Mijmegen.He circled an area where his aid station was located during the battle there.

attachicon.gifGMONT508 006.jpg

All nice stuff here!

Doyler, where was he from - it says Boone Officer?

Brian Dentino

Wow, great D-Day para groupings there fellas! Ron, that modified jump suit looks to be in great shape....and Fritz, whoa what a looker!!!!!