AAF WWII Parachute AN-6510 w/ attached first aid kit

Jeff TX

I am excited to share this new acquisition from an estate sale. The stenciled side of the seat is marked "42-291803 AAF", interior marked with pilots name and "ESLER FIELD LA". This pilot's survival gear is also marked "Pioneer Parachute Co. Manchester"

post-13283-0-06315100-1393110619.jpg

I am reluctant to break the inspectors lead button to check on the chute and all the bungee cords are still intact/attached. Where would the inspection log be?

The 42- number might be an aircraft serial number, though it appears to be a digit too long. If the last digit is dropped, it is a S/N assigned to a P-47.

WWII Parachutist

The 42- number might be an aircraft serial number, though it appears to be a digit too long. If the last digit is dropped, it is a S/N assigned to a P-47.

The 42- number is the serial number of the parachute system

WWII Parachutist

I am reluctant to break the inspectors lead button to check on the chute and all the bungee cords are still intact/attached. Where would the inspection log be?

The parachute log record will be in a pocket marked "inspection and packing data" located in the center of the backside of the pack. You will need to lift up the seat pad to access it.

Log was right where you said it would be.

Front Cover reads Parachute Log Book w/ pen entry Ser. No. 42-291803

1st page reads: Type AN-24 Seat; Part No. AN-6510-1; Mfg: 8/42 Pioneer; Contract No. W525AC26568;

Stations: R.A.D.; Alamo Field; Abeline AAB; Esler Field La.; Muskogee AB Okla;

2nd page is signed in ink "Lt Evans"

3rd page has eight entries starting 12-10-42 and ending 3-4-44

post-13283-0-89574500-1393191768.jpg

Great rig Jeff.

This is the type of thing on my bucket list.I have the chute/harness and missed a set-up like yours a couple years ago.Guy ended up selling the FA packet off the set and the the chute and harness.

WWII Parachutist

Beautiful chute! If you look in the back of the log record there is usually a page with all the modifications made to the chute during its lifespan....some of them even have the date when the first aid kit is added, if you are curious about that.

Thanks for the vector WWII Parachutist! Just as you advised the "Technical Instruction Compliance Record" has four entries with the last being the installation of the "Packet, First Aid, Parachute installed 5-26-43" and last inspected "1-15-44".

post-13283-0-60301100-1393365213.jpg

FYSA I am putting the parachute as I have described/shown on ebaY!

If you are not interested in bidding on this rare item I would appreciate you passing the word to those who may be looking to add to their collection.

Regars,

Jeff

post-13283-0-95845800-1393780928.jpg

I was asked a question about how secure was the first aid kit attached so I looked closer and found not only was it tied to the rigging it also was sewn with four strings,one on each strap, by the installer. I assume they are the "inspection ties" shown in the pics. Can anyone confirm?

post-13283-0-05331700-1394902537.jpg

post-13283-0-24836300-1394902608.jpg

• 1 year later...