Numbered WWl USMC GC Medal with Numbered Paper

kanemono

Corporal Roscoe C. Chilsom USMC Good Conduct Medal group. Chilsom was in the Marine Corps from June 19, 1917 until he was medically discharged on August 10, 1918. He received a numbered Good Conduct Medal (68052) and the WW1 Victory Medal. I thought this group was interesting because it has all of the paperwork for the numbered Good Conduct Medal. I have seen quite a few of the numbered medals but this is the only one I have seen Identified with all of the paperwork.

Dick

post-9487-0-86825500-1393105544.jpg

post-9487-0-16355000-1393105560.jpg

post-9487-0-39836100-1393105573.jpg

post-9487-0-79089200-1393105579.jpg

Thanks Robin, I bought this group for the academic rather than the glamour aspect of collecting. I find the paperwork as interesting as the medals themselves. I noticed people have asked questions about the WWl numbered medals. Here are most of the answers.

Dick

Thanks Robin, I bought this group for the academic rather than the glamour aspect of collecting. I find the paperwork as interesting as the medals themselves. I noticed people have asked questions about the WWl numbered medals. Here are most of the answers.

Dick

I agree. It's safe to say having the the original 70, 80, 100 year old paper is also rarer than having the medal itself. The paper generally gets thrown out long before the medal gets sold or otherwise ends up in the collector world.

Have seen a few numbered GC's with documents, and the document always boosts the value. People are eager to own a rim numbered version that is identified...scarcely done outside of groups