M3 Flak Helmet

king802

This arrived today in the post and i must say i am very pleased indeed. I wanted just one example for my collection to sit alongside all the M1's. I dont know why i didn't get round to getting one sooner, compared to M1's they are a bargain -not many people seem to want them.

Thought it would make a change to post something different.

Richard

post-1878-1211397800.jpg

Very nice example. I too have been itching to put one in my collection maybe now is the time to find one. where did you pick this one up? Jeff

Very nice example. I too have been itching to put one in my collection maybe now is the time to find one. where did you pick this one up? Jeff

Hi Jeff.

This was an E-Bay purchase. There are a few nice one's on there at the moment.

Rich

jayhawkhenry

I remember in the early 60s wanting a "real" army helmet when I was a kid, so Dad took us to the surplus store. Mac Dill air base was near by and all the store had was stacks of M-3s and gray navy talker helmets for $3 each. I recall we rejected that junk as they were not "real" helmets.

I picked up a mint M-3 a few years ago, of course it was more that $3. :lol: they are great additions to any helmet collection.

I use to see those in surplus stores for around $10

now they are scarce, I wish I would have bought one sooner when I had a chance

I use to see those in surplus stores for around $10

now they are scarce, I wish I would have bought one sooner when I had a chance

HA! Try to find a leather M4 "Grow helmet". I bought the cloth covered version years ago to go with my M3 and M5 but that leather M4 is a SOB to find at anything but ultra prices.

Tom thumbsup.gif

frontrowjoe

Nice M3 hard to find with the ear flap felt pads still there rust grows under the pads and off they come thumbsup.gif

• 3 months later...

Did the aircrews make a practice of removing the earflaps? There is an M-3 for sale near me but without the earflaps. When I look at it, I see a screwed up M-3, but this is not an area of my expertise! Just wanted to make sure that this wasn't a field modification.