USS Tuscaloosa Magellan Blue Water Sailor Certificate

Wharfmaster

Picked up this Strait of Magellan Certificate recently. I have not seen another example.

Harry joined the Navy in October of 1937. In Feb. of 1938, he would come aboard the Cruiser Tuscaloosa.

In April, 1939 Tuscaloosa joined USS San Francisco and USS Quincy of Cruiser Division 7 on a Goodwill tour around South America, Rear Admiral Husband E. Kimmel in Command.

The Passage of the Strait of Magellan was not an easy one. High winds and heavy seas were encountered. Winds were measured at 90 knots with 50 foot seas.

I assume this stormy passage greatly warranted the issue of a certificate.

After duty on Tuscaloosa, Harry was transferred to the Destroyer Rowan to serve on Neutrality Patrol before he was discharged a MM2c in October of 1941.

Not long after Pearl Harbor, Harry would return to the Sea, joining the US Merchant Marine in early 1942. A lucky guy, he would survive the War.

Harry was still in the USMM in 1957, now a Second Engineer. He passed away in 1995.

Awesome item, wish i had one...........................................wait a minute..I made that trip they must have discontinued that one . Great item , now I need to find one.

John