World War II Marines Using Knives Made from Civil War Swords

Championhilz

I found the following article in The Clarion-Ledger (Jackson, Mississippi), March 26, 1944 - The scan of the article is hard to read, so I have transcribed it:

Marines Use Saber Knives

Cleveland - A written request from a Marine on a South Pacific island was the basis for an impromptu Cleveland business now proving murderous to Axis fighting men. Charles Ambrose, operator of a wet grinding company, was asked by the Marine to fashion him an overseas knife. The Clevelander complied, & a Civil War saber was ground to a razor edge and shortened.

Others Want Knives

The Marine, upon receipt of the knife, wrote enthusiastic acknowledgement. Officers and enlisted men alike were envious of the instrument. 'I'm thinking of throwing away my sub-machine gun' the Marine wrote. 'The knife is worth its weight in gold.' Letters from the Pacific fighting fronts began to pour in requesting similar weapons.

Buys Old Sabers

Unable to obtain steel, Ambrose bought 300 more Civil War sabers from a New York dealer and began grinding. Service men, stopping between trains in Cleveland, began visiting the shop. In three months, Ambrose netted more than $3,000 from the sale of knives. He spends approximately six hours on each knife and sells the weapons for $25. His wife and 3 children assist. The family business has become such that even the family cutlery has become dull. Ambrose lacks time to sharpen his own domestic utensils."

So if anyone comes across a cut-down Civil War Saber, it may not be the work of some Bubba - it may be one of the knives made by Charles Ambrose of Cleveland.

For a picture, go to BING and type in: WW2 knife made from civil war sword.

They have a deep blood groove as one would expect.

W

I've got a friend who has 2 made from Civil War NCO or Musician swords. I've got one somewhere around here made from an old sabre. Didn't know a guy in Cleveland made them.

Fins...

• 6 years later...

Here is another post on the WWII sword knives made in Cleveland, Ohio by Charles Ambrose:

WWII Sword Knives Made From Civil War Sabers - Page 2 - EDGED WEAPONS - U.S. Militaria Forum