Heer Single Decal M40 Helmet - 26th Div./106th Cav. Group Bringback

Timberwolf

Hi All,

I had recently posted the uniform of the solider that brought this helmet home. Well the seller sent me a message saying she found the helmet in his estate and wanted to know if I wanted to purchase it. Needless to say I did! Not a mint example but it definitely has the provenance to back it up.

IMAG0695_zps1b81f27a.jpg

IMAG0696_zps37b89b4c.jpg

IMAG0701_zps7927d9fe.jpg

Decal is in 90% condition I would say! Can't tell if it is a faded Heer or Kreigsmarine Decal

IMAG0697_zpsae254ac4.jpg

IMAG0699_zpsd1ad553c.jpg

From the rust spots it looks like it sat in his basement and water dripped on it.

IMAG0698_zps88ababc6.jpg

Liner.

Thanks for looking!

-Ben

This looks like an M35, not an M40. The M35 had applied air vents, whereas the M40 utilized stamped air vents. This modification was designed to save time in the manufacturing process.

Very nice!

Thanks Chris! You know I think you're right. I had a hard time telling if it was an M35 because the finish makes the air vents seem flush with the helmet body, but upon looking at it closer I can see a minute gap in between the body and vent.

No problem! Sometimes it can be hard to see details when looking at things in person, but once you take a picture of it, the flash illuminates things that you didn't see the first time 'round.

After moving around over 300 pieces of militaria, I finally located the 106th uniform that we've discussed! I just found it last week, so I will get some pictures for you sometime over the weekend. I hope all is well!

Model 35 has aluminuim liner bands with rivit type air vent, later the liners were strengthened (re-inforced), later as needed repainted and in 1940 vents went to stamped but kept rolled edge and they were to remove the tri-color shield (many did not), M-40's were issued with one decal, M-42-43's had unrolled edges and stamped vents with steel liner bands and were to be issued with no decals but many were.

Ben, you should go out and get a Powerball ticket, 'cause you've been lucky lately! The set looks great together, and it's good that they'll be together to keep the history intact. Hopefully she can find some dog tags or a few other things for you.

Thanks guys! I really am happy I was able to keep it together! Unfortunately the seller had his custom ID bracelet listed and I didn't even know it! So I did miss out on that one.

It never hurts to ask to pass along your contact info should the other person want to sell the bracelet. It's better than giving up on it completely.