24 New MOH's To Be Awarded

tom2001

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/obama-award-medal-honor-24-army-veterans-22623301?singlePage=true

Obama to Award Medal of Honor to 24 Army Veterans
WASHINGTON February 21, 2014 (AP)
By JIM KUHNHENN Associated Press
AP_logo_update_20130709.gif

Seeking to correct potential acts of bias spanning three wars, President Barack Obama will award the Medal of Honor to 24 Army veterans following a congressionally mandated review to ensure that eligible recipients were not bypassed due to prejudice.

The unusual mass ceremony, scheduled for March 18, will honor veterans, most of Hispanic or Jewish heritage, who had already been recognized with the Distinguished Service Cross, the nation's second-highest military award. Only three of the recipients are living.

"I never really did worry about decorations," said one of those being honored, Melvin Morris of Cocoa, Fla., who was commended for courageous actions while a staff sergeant during combat operations on Sept. 17, 1969, in the vicinity of Chi Lang, South Vietnam.

Morris, who is black, said in an interview that it never occurred to him that his race might have prevented him from receiving the Medal of Honor. He said it was a huge surprise when the Army contacted him last May about the review and then arranged for a call from Obama.

"I fell to my knees. I was shocked," Morris said. "President Obama said he was sorry this didn't happen before. He said this should have been done 44 years ago."

The other living recipients are Spc. 4 Santiago J. Erevia of San Antonio, cited for courage during a search and clear mission near Tam Ky, South Vietnam, on May 21, 1969; and Sgt. 1st Class Jose Rodela of San Antonio, cited for courage during combat operations in Phuoc Long province, South Vietnam, on Sept. 1, 1969.

The Army conducted the review under a directive from Congress in the 2002 National Defense Authorization Act. The law required that the record of each Jewish American and Hispanic American veteran who received a Service Cross during or after World War II be reviewed for possible upgrade to the Medal of Honor.

The Pentagon said the Army reviewed the cases of the 6,505 recipients of the Distinguished Service Cross from World War II and the Korean and Vietnam wars and found an eligible pool of 600 soldiers who may have been Jewish or Hispanic. The Army also worked with the National Museum of American Jewish Military History, the Jewish War Veterans of the USA and the American GI Forum, the largest Hispanic-American veterans group, to pinpoint potential medal recipients.

Of the 24, eight fought in the Vietnam War, nine in the Korean War and seven in World War II.

The posthumous recipients are:

—Sgt. Candelario Garcia, born in Corsicana, Texas, for courageous actions during combat operations in Lai Khe, South Vietnam, on Dec. 8, 1968.

— Spc. 4 Leonard L. Alvarado, born in Bakersfield, Calif., died during combat operations in Phuoc Long province, South Vietnam, on Aug. 12, 1969.

— Staff Sgt. Felix M. Conde-Falcon, born in Juncos, Puerto Rico, killed during combat operations in Ap Tan Hoa, South Vietnam, on April 4, 1969.

— Spc. 4 Ardie R. Copas of Fort Pierce, Fla. killed during combat operations near Ph Romeas Hek, Cambodia, on May 12, 1970.

— Spc. 4 Jesus S. Duran of San Bernardino, Calif., for courageous actions during combat operations in South Vietnam on April 10, 1969.

— Cpl. Joe R. Baldonado, born in Colorado, killed during combat operations in Kangdong, North Korea, on Nov. 25, 1950.

— Cpl. Victor H. Espinoza of El Paso, Texas, for courageous actions during combat operations in Chorwon, North Korea, on Aug. 1, 1952.

— Sgt. Eduardo C. Gomez, born in Los Angeles, for courageous actions during combat operations in Tabu-dong, South Korea, on Sept. 3, 1950.

— Pfc. Leonard M. Kravitz, born in New York City, killed during combat operations in Yangpyong, South Korea, on March 6-7, 1951.

— Master Sgt. Juan E. Negron of Bayamon, Puerto Rico, for courageous actions during combat operations in Kalma-Eri, North Korea, on April 28, 1951.

— Master Sgt. Mike C. Pena, born in Newgulf, Texas, killed in action during combat operations in Waegwan, South Korea, on Sept. 4, 1950.

— Pvt. Demensio Rivera, born in Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico, for courageous actions during combat operations in Changyong-ni, South Korea, on May 23, 1951.

— Pvt. Miguel A. Vera, born in Puerto Rico, killed during combat operations in Chorwon, North Korea, on Sept. 21, 1952.

— Sgt. Jack Weinstein of Saint Francis, Kan. for courageous actions during combat operations in Kumsong, South Korea, on Oct. 19, 1951.

— Pvt. Pedro Cano, born in La Morita, Mexico, for courageous actions during combat operations in Schevenhutte, Germany, on Dec. 3, 1944.

— Pvt. Joe Gandara, born in Santa Monica, Calif., for courageous actions during combat operations in Amfreville, France, on June 9, 1944.

— Pfc. Salvador J. Lara, of Riverside, Calif., for courageous actions during combat operations in Aprilia, Italy, May 27-28, 1944.

— Sgt. William F. Leonard, of Lockport, N.J., for courageous actions during combat operations near St. Die, France, on Nov. 7, 1944.

— Staff Sgt. Manuel V. Mendoza, born in Miami, Ariz., for courageous actions during combat operations on Mount Battaglia, Italy, on Oct. 4, 1944.

— Sgt. Alfred B. Nietzel, born in New York City, for courageous actions during combat operations in Heistern, Germany, on Nov. 18, 1944.

— 1st Lt. Donald K. Schwab, born Hooper, Neb., for courageous actions during combat operations near Lure, France, on Sept. 17, 1944.

I saw this as well. SSG Conde-Falcon was serving with Company D 1st Battalion 505th Infantry 3rd Brigade 82nd Airborne Division at the time of his action. However, earlier in the same tour, he served in Company A along with my father. When the 82nd was converted from an Airborne to light infantry brigade in Vietnam in the summer of 1968, each battalion added a fourth rifle company (Company D). In addition to replacements, each existing rifle company (A - C) had one of its platoons taken from it to form Co. D. I'm going to ask my father if he knew him. As they were both NCO's, there is a very good chance he did.

— Staff Sgt. Felix M. Conde-Falcon, born in Juncos, Puerto Rico, killed during combat operations in Ap Tan Hoa, South Vietnam, on April 4, 1969.

I don't understand why the preference went to soldiers with Hispanic or Jewish heritage ? is their courage/ sacrifice greater than those with other heritages ? or it's just political act to gain minorities favor ...

I don't understand why the preference went to soldiers with Hispanic or Jewish heritage ? is their courage/ sacrifice greater than those with other heritages ? or it's just political act to gain minorities favor ...

Apparently, they were not initially considered for the award. This lack of consideration may have had to do with their religion or ethnicity. That's the nicest way to answer.

I get righting past injustices in regard to some people not being considered for the award due to their skin color, I think that's fair.

That said, the laws need to be adjusted to ANYONE who should have a second review of their medal. I think we've all read of someone who did something amazing who should have been awarded the medal but for some reaosn, never was.

For example, I've heard that only one awardee per division in the initial Normandy landings could be put in for the medal at all. That, to me, seems amazingly unfair.

That said, soliders often have their awards downgraded because the commanders don't want to bother the next highest level of command (and therefore have their own contribution to the medal unnoted), or just thrown in the trash because some staff weinee didn't want some to have a medal he doesn't have himself (that happened to me personally but that's another story)...

• 3 weeks later...
The Meatcan

it was quite moving to watch. CSPAN was the only broadcast I found that showed the ENTIRE ceremony and all the recipients and family members. Really great to see those who deserved it to finally get their due recognition and thanks of the nation.

Terry

see story in MPage post- then draw logicial conclusion.

Manchu Warrior

I watched the event on CSPAN and I have to admit that it brought tears to my eyes. It was very nicely done. But if I could have made one suggestion, and I hope I don't sound like I am nitpicking, it would have been nice to put a face with each of the medals during the presentations.