Unknown Dopey Insignia

Eric Queen

This could potentially be a VMD unit, but I am not sure. I have searched through Millstein's book and the internet the best I can but cannot find anything.

Does anyone happen to know what this unit could be?

Thanks in advance.

EQ

dopey 1 a.jpg

This matches the description I was given of my uncle's patch (he is in the center of the picture holding a hatchet, below) - he was in a Navy aerial mapping unit. I will be interested in seeing if this unit is identified.

post-2647-0-60936900-1393040470.jpg

Johnny Signor

I was told it was the design used by the "Fleet Photo Lab" NAS San Diego, sorry nothing to back it up other than a photo of a piece of stationary with the design and navy aircrew wings and a navy gunner in a plane , and the name "Robert Glenn Dening.

It looks like a variation of a design used by VS-36, a Navy Scouting Squadron:

VS 36.JPG

I have seen the letterhead Johnny mentions. If I recall correctly, the image on the stationary looks more like a kid than the dwarf Dopey.

Thanks Dave. They are similar, it could be possible, but my gut tells me they are not the same. The woman I got these from claimed to be the daughter in law of the original owner whom (she says) was part of a marine photography squadron (VMD). Again, don't know this to be true or not. I have asked her again for the unit designation (if known) and/or the full name of the previous owner so I can try to research it that way.

A great design and decal, but an enigma. This marine was at Okinawa and later China, likely a member of VMD354. The VMD354 design is Disney designed as well, but different. The decal is not VMD1, VMD154, VMD954 or VD1 (the Fleet Air Photo Recon Squadron), although they all are of a similar concept. And I do not think it is VS-36 which was Antisubmarine Recon Scout Squadron. I do not know if VS-36 was at Okinawa or not. But as mentioned, worthy of followup since we do not know what squadron design it is, AAF, USN, USMC? USMC? probably unlikely…but you never know.

Here is the VMD354 patch:

post-3673-0-40353300-1393102951.jpg

Thanks JP. Good information and great patches. Completely agree with you. The piece may not be Marine at all. I personally got it because I collect artwork from Snow White. It would be cool if it's Marine but not a big deal to me. What I really want is the original hand painted cell in the B&W photo..........

A mystery. We will figure it out at some point.

EQ, you are right, definitely a screamer! More than worthy of any collection. I just cannot help you with a original cell, LOL! I was hoping David had one….

pat

Just a FYI...the art was created in pencil first, either on an onion skin tissue-type paper or animation paper, and then it was hand inked and hand painted on heavy stock art board. The design was then photographed in black and white and if Porter liked what the image looked like it was sent off with a license agreement to whomever put in the original request. The insignia art was never painted on celluloid because the celluloid for at least a couple of reasons: 1) the cel would not survive any sort of transit to the intended destination, and 2) the heat and the humidity of a tropical location would have destroyed the ink and paint on the cel in no time.

I also do not believe VD-1 is a Disney design.

Happy hunting!

Dave. I would agree in most all cases you are absolutely correct but there were exceptions. I have seen them. Not many, perhaps 5 or so. Cannot speak to the reasons why they were made either. When you look at this photograph (of the insignia) closely you will notice a few things quite different than the usual finished insignia pieces from Porter. 1. simulated sky throughout the entire background of the piece.2. no mock Walt Disney signature 3. notice the shadow between the cell itself and the background. Have you ever seen this on an art board insignia piece? 4. notice the texture/surface difference between the insignia and the background. No doubt in my mind that this is hand painted on celluloid.

I just heard back from the lady I bought this from. She said her father in laws name was James Young from MA and here is a photo of him. Tried looking through the muster roles but could not find anyone connected to a VMD unit. Cannot tell from the photo if he is wearing a marine or navy uniform.

Dave, if you want to send me your email address I will send you something you may find interesting.

Thanks again for all the help.

EQ

james young.jpg

I just wanted to clarify that I do realize that the "shadowing" is hand applied (not real shadows) but what I was trying to say is it seems to be on two different planes (to me from examining the original photo closely). Similar to the Courvoisier Studio set ups from around the same period. Again, just my take from looking at the original photo.

Anyway, enough about that. Let's figure out what the insignia is ;)

Thanks again for all the help.

• 2 weeks later...
Johnny Signor

Did the Marines wear the same "aircrew" wing as Navy ???? I ask this as the stationary paper I saw the "Dopey" emblem in questions also has the Aircrew wing on it along with a cartoon rear gunner in what appears to be a SBD , I'm still leaning towards a Navy related unit/command type for this one .

I'm guessing like the rest of you here, but another possibility would be a stateside photography training unit or school which might explain the crisp new look of the clothes, gear and camera and variety of aircraft on a concrete tarmac. He may have gone to a VMD or USN unit overseas later after the Dopey unit. The parachute in the insignia may be a clue as well. Surely, that would have played a significant role in an aerial photographers's training. It would seem odd to incorporate that parachute into a flying squadron's design I think. Pure speculation on my part. Just adding to the discussion. Jeffro

I don't doubt her father-in-law was a Marine, I'd search the USMC route or a USN school that trained Marines. I saw this on auction, was bidding on the WM cartoon but internet went out before I could raise the bid

• 2 weeks later...

No, I have not figured out who Dopey belongs to. But, I did acquire these photos of MAG 33 on Kadena with an interesting painted insignia on the building, featuring Donald Duck and a camera. It is not the insignia approved for MAG 33 and becomes another insignia mystery to track down I guess. I do not know if this insignia belonged to another squadron and was "stolen" by this particular MAG. There are instances of that happening based on a few photos in my collection.

Anyone seen this insignia?

post-3673-0-15263700-1395451512.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

One of my comments above was "what I really want is the hand painted cell in the photo". Be careful what you wish for. It is now available on eBay. Starting bid is a mere $8000................ :blink:

Dopey x.jpg

• 1 year later...

I just purchased a large grouping from a photographer who was aboard the ship USS Cape Esperance (CVE-88). He graduated from the Navy Photo School, NAS Pensacola, Florida. Amongst some of his items related to this thread are shown in the picture. On the signed handkerchief is a graduate (Sgt David Snider) of this school who was KIA. See the link to the story if interested.

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/pbj/35275.html

post-3953-0-93008400-1468932986.jpg