What do I have here? WWII Camo Jungle Pack

hirsca

Estate sale find today. Genuine or not? Maker marked Baker-Lockwood Mfg. Co. Inc. 1943. Zippered compartment in top flap with brass Talon zipper. Pic heavy. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks, Al.

#1 of 8

post-12790-0-98252100-1393022813.jpg

USA.mil.history

I can honestly say that I am green with envy (OD#7 of course). What an impressive estate find! Just goes to show that there are still treasures out there waiting to be discovered. Congratulations....

Craig

Does'nt surprise me its from an estate sale.More of these were bought surplus after the war for Boy Scout use than you can imagine.

I have owned a dozen or so of the camo ones over the years and several of the OD ones.Common Boy scout modification was to take off the back suspension straps that attached to the cartridge belt and often the extra straps of the fron suspenders.

Finally upgraded my camo pack to one that still has the straps tied with period cordage.Pretty much unissued.

NIce addition.

Thanks for all of the kind words. My brother, the Marine, is coming over tomorrow. I probably should hide it so it doesn't get covered with drool. Al.

Nice pack! the only reproductions of these are made by WWII Impressions and I am guessing like on all of their other products they mark them WWII Impressions.

-Dave

I'm gonna have to take a look at Impressions' repros just for kicks; I didn't know anyone was repopping these.

Very, Very Nice Camo pack!! - well done - this one has the re enforced rivets for the shoulder straps - they is an earlier version without these rivets.

Very, Very Nice Camo pack!! - well done - this one has the re enforced rivets for the shoulder straps - they is an earlier version without these rivets.

It also seems that the early J.P.s didn't have the retainer buckles for the flap closure straps, right below the loops for these straps, which is also the case with Al's Pack.

Below is a Boyt which has them at left, and a Hinson which doesn't, both made in '43...

post-3226-0-61607400-1393097156.jpeg

I'm gonna have to take a look at Impressions' repros just for kicks; I didn't know anyone was repopping these.

Yeah if you look at the "Reenacting and Repro Gear" section a few days ago they posted them.

-Dave

Yes Dave, I had a look-see a couple hours ago...they did a great job on that, and it's very commendable that they make sure to stamp everything with their logo to prevent "enterprising" dealers from attempting to burn folks.

It also seems that the early J.P.s didn't have the retainer buckles for the flap closure straps, right below the loops for these straps, which is also the case with Al's Pack.

Below is a Boyt which has them at left, and a Hinson which doesn't, both made in '43...

Details, details, details....that's what makes this forum so great! I would never have know about the early vs. later versions if it wasn't for members like mdk0911 and 'Flage Guy. Thanks again for the informative information. Al.

Details, details, details....that's what makes this forum so great!

:D It almost gets frustrating sometimes, trying to make sure you have all the different variations! But like you said, it also makes this pastime great fun! ;)