Inside The Army’s Spectacular, Hidden Treasure Room

rrobertscv

When I got to visit the storage facility for the USS Arizona memorial a few years back, I got the same sense of awe looking at what they had. Going through all the drawers of just medals gave me goose bumps.

Kurt

When I got to visit the storage facility for the USS Arizona memorial a few years back, I got the same sense of awe looking at what they had. Going through all the drawers of just medals gave me goose bumps.

A pal of mine got invited into the Washington DC Hollocaust Museum's storage area once. He walked up to the door, peered inside, and couldn't go further. He told them he just couldn't go in, that he felt unworthy to even be in the room with what they had in there. The museum lady smiled and said that happens to many people. He never did walk into the room and recently told me he still has no regrets over that. I can understand, I felt unworthy just walking into the museum itself...

I am glad to see that the Rockwell poster "Let's give him enough to fight" is safe. Some years ago I visited with LTG ( later GEN) Johnnie Wilson who was then Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics at the Pentagon. The painting was on his office wall then. Later the office was destroyed on 9/11 and its then occupant killed. I always wondered if the painting was still there. Now I know it was not.

Wouldn't it be a great idea if the Forum backed donations to the U.S. Army Museum? We all collect this stuff, but shouldn't we not help the Army preserve and display it too? (Yes, I sent my donation long ago.)

G

Many years ago I did an internship at the what is now the Army's Heritage Center at Carlise. The Center at the time was located in Upton Hall and one day the curator who knew I was a collector took me to their third floor storage room to let me see first hand their holdings.....not nearly as massive or complete as the Fort Belivior site shown above but it was just wonderful to explore racks of uniforms, helmets and medals with the man responsible for maintaining it. At the time I was interested in a Civil War Shell jackets so he pulled several off the racks and explained to me what to look for in construction and markings....then brought several items of CW headgear down to our work area so we could photogragh them in better light. needless to say it was just wonderful to have seen, been allowed to handle, and receive guidance from the head curator himself. Lastly I remember we were building that summer a display at the War College on Gen Buford at Gettysburg and yes he brought out and set up his uniform which they own along side museum holdings of CW cav items...I think we used a Spencer, with quick loader, 1860 Cav, a Army Colt, and a kepi.....as well as had several drawings from their collection copied for the display case.