USMC competition badges

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Finally got these shooting medals into a shadow box. All are engraved to B. C. Williby. The earliest is dated 1929. The latest 1939. I'm patiently waiting for the archives to open so I can get his records. His brothers WW2 dogtags came with the group so I threw them in there too.

Kim

IMG_20201217_134000896~2.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Kim, that's an awesome group!  Love that early Distinguished badge!  Very nice!

Let me know if you ever decide to part with the group :P

aactionjim
3 hours ago, kfields said:

Finally got these shooting medals into a shadow box. All are engraved to B. C. Williby. The earliest is dated 1929. The latest 1939. I'm patiently waiting for the archives to open so I can get his records. His brothers WW2 dogtags came with the group so I threw them in there too.

Kim

IMG_20201217_134000896~2.jpg

Whats the bottom right one that is turned around? Show us a picture of it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All - 

I've looked around all over this page and cannot find mention of the attached medal.  Sorry if it has been discussed elsewhere...

I can find no information on this badge, is it a fantasy piece?

Thanks, Ross

72400883_BADGE(2).jpg.3cb76acc618b5114c3403cb43f0e074e.jpg1815615787_BADGEBACK(2).jpg.298d8ab1fbd948596f28c610746ca5a5.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Gunny,

This is something that someone put together.  Looks like they used the suspension bar from a Distinguished Marksman badge and attached some other pendant to the bottom.  Have seen this floating around the internet for awhile.  I wouldn't spend any money on it personally if that is what you are contemplating (unless you already own it).

S/F

Thanks Sgt. Maddox. 

Somehow I just knew it, but couldn't help dropping $20 on it. It will go in my "you should have known better" drawer :)

SgtMaddoxUSMC

For $20, it's still cool!  I have a pretty large collection of Blackinton made USMC shooting awards if you ever feel like checking them out.  They are posted on my FB which is in my signature.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
aactionjim

I hope I didn't step on anybody's toes but I have been chasing a good one for a long time. It is better than good.

I didn't realize until I took a better look and looked it up. 

The pendant of the National Trophy Match (Dogs of War) Badge replicated the bronze shield of the national trophy which had the names of the four military services, at that time, (the Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and National Guard) embossed on small rectangles below a small replica of the Great Seal of the United States on the left side of the badge's pendant. To the right of this was a prominent design of an ancient warrior with four dogs on leashes (the dogs of war). To the right of the warrior was the following embossed phrase: "National Trophy Presented by the Congress of the United States for Excellence in Team Marksmanship." Below the leashed dogs, at the base of the pendant, is a short embossed statement reflecting why the badge was awarded. This pendant hung from a plain rectangular brooch embossed with the words "THE NATIONAL MATCH TEAM," with the exception of the 1913 badge which was embossed with "NATIONAL TEAM MATCH 1913.

DOGS1.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Nice!  Never seen a 1913 DoW badge!  Do you know which team won that years match?

aactionjim
50 minutes ago, SgtMaddoxUSMC said:

Nice!  Never seen a 1913 DoW badge!  Do you know which team won that years match?

I will get back to you on that. I think I can find the site that showed the dates and who won. I wished I keep it.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

My DoW is from 1916, one of the years USMC won the match.  But mine was never engraved with the placing so probably an unissued medal.

aactionjim
2 hours ago, SgtMaddoxUSMC said:

My DoW is from 1916, one of the years USMC won the match.  But mine was never engraved with the placing so probably an unissued medal.

You know I was wondering about those being engraved. I haven't seen any that were. I wonder if it was up to the shooter to have that done. I also noticed on the medal that it was changed and had civilian added to it around 1935 or so.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Jim,

I meant the prize or place engraving; "first", "second", etc.  Mine doesn't have that, or a 'class' specified:

34483197_10216958796426411_4004338442606477312_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Looks great!  Is the navy badge bottom right named at all?

aactionjim
On 7/30/2021 at 7:32 PM, SgtMaddoxUSMC said:

Looks great!  Is the navy badge bottom right named at all?

all blank

aactionjim
Just now, aactionjim said:

all blank

Sorry but it's not a navy badge. I should had better focus on my camera.