USMC competition badges

SgtMaddoxUSMC

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Also, I'm still waiting on the bronze badge for you. He still hasn't made the trip yet. I emailed him yesterday and will let you know once I hear something back.

Honestly, I've always kind of wanted to do similar, but I only really want pre-Korea badges...which would take years and thousands of bucks...so I kind of shelved the idea

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Yeah that would be awesome. Once I get a full set, I will continue to upgrade and replace the newer ones with older ones but like you said, it's going to take awhile. Even finding all of the modern day ones is proving to be a challenge. Out of the ones up there only a few are older badges. You worked at the range didn't you? Did you ever get to work on any of the competitive matches?

First year I was on leave for the intramurals, however I shot the second week because it was a down week and they had slots. So while I was out of the running for the team, I got to shoot their courses of fire for 5 days, 500 yd is a larger able target that'll really refine your long distance skills, and the standing is 20 rounds, so I got to try a bunch of different stances and grips and refine my position, which is great, really improved my standing, tagged 5 for 5 in the black this year.

Second year I was at PMI school during intramurals, and third year I didn't bother trying out since I had orders to PCS at the beginning of the season, however my range hosted the intramurals and I was RSO for them. During season, the team would jump on whatever range went cold first to practice, when it was my range, I'd get to watch and BS with them since I had a couple buddies on the team

SgtMaddoxUSMC

That's awesome! I'm trying to get into the reserve Battalion up here in NY and if I do, I'm going to see about getting them to put together a team. I almost got onto the team 1/9 had back in 2012 but I got booted off cause a SSgt checked in from Quantico about 2 weeks before practice started and then I lost to Rock Paper Chevrons.

It's a ton of administrative work to get a team off the ground. Would probably take a couple years, I'd imagine. Facilities to practice, budget for transpo, etc. Also, we're currently transitioning to a new rifle course of fire, the new pistol course just went into effect Oct 1

• 3 weeks later...

I congratulate you on your collection.

The only shooting medal I have is my Marksman qualification badge from Edson on 12/24/65. At midnight, the D.I. had us doing close order drills while we laid in our racks. My first Christmas Day in the Corps - ha!.

Again - superb collection.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Thanks Jim! I appreciate the kind words! I am currently awaiting an auction to end on a modern Edson trophy so I will hopefully be filling in that hole soon! It will take me some time to acquire all of them, but I think it's coming along nicely so far! Not too bad for a little over one years worth of searching. As I have less to get though they will become harder and harder to find!

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Well that would sure help my cause! I'll have to put out a BOLO on the NoVa Bookoo and craigslist sites and see if I can get in touch with someone in that area.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

No luck. I contacted them but they said they do not stock them nor do they know who does. I am going to contact the OIC of range operations there when he's back from vacation in January. Maybe he might have more info for me.

• 4 years later...

My nephew found this foot locker for me to display the medals in. It came back from Vietnam. I don't know if you ever saw one like this but they are great to get. There is one on facebook market place in Marydel Delaware for $30.00. These were brought back and it is from 1968 and still has some of the shipping tag left on it. If you know anybody that could get it,you should try. Mine is from 1967 and has all the shipping tags left. They are piece of history.

post-162120-0-96591300-1546923165_thumb.jpg