USMC competition badges

SgtMaddoxUSMC

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Nice collection of current issue USMC Competition Badges. I would make one comment, the top bar on your Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge is incorrect. It looks like somebody has swapped out the correct one with one from one of the leg (E-I-C) badges. Attached picture illustrates the correct one.

Hmmmm I didn't catch that, you are right. Thanks for pointing that out! My ultimate goal is to eventually be able to display all of the different competition badges but I know that is a long-term (and a highly unlikely one, I might add) goal. Here's what I have in mind... let me know if anyone has any detailed information on any of these different matches!

post-133515-0-49247200-1393084686.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

At the bottom alongside the basic badge, I will probably display the various qualification bars and then below that, the older versions on the expert and sharpshooter badges, the marksman bar, and the army style badges. Try to get a little bit of everything in there.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Post #4 they misspelled "Pendleton". I wonder if this is an anomoly or if other years/competitions have it misspelled too. I can only imagine the Marine in charge of hosting the competition's response when he found out...

That is interesting I didn't even catch that! I wonder if anyone else has competition badges from some of Pendleton's other years that they could post! Would be interesting to see if that was a one time mistake. I imagine someone would have had to have caught it right away but then again, back when I was in Lejeune, I had to break the news to the SgtMaj that the battalion t-shirts he had been selling for over a year had 'battalion' spelled 'batallion'. Apparently either no one caught it prior to me, or no one had the balls to go let the big man know (: He was upset that the company that had produced the shirts hadn't caught the mistake and that no one had pointed it out to him until I did. Also had to stop a Major during fleet week when I caught him about to walk out into NYC with NO BELT. He was very thankful that SOMEONE stopped him before he went out and made a fool of himself.

A must have book if you intend to get into marksmanship badges if History of Marine Corps Competitive Marksmanship by Barde...out of print and expensive when you find it, but a must have. There's one on eBay now for $80 BIN

teufelhunde.ret

A must have book if you intend to get into marksmanship badges if History of Marine Corps Competitive Marksmanship by Barde...out of print and expensive when you find it, but a must have. There's one on eBay now for $80 BIN

I have one... That is a fair price for this out of print work.

normaninvasion

I've had a copy sitting on the shelves for a couple of years now, I really should crack it. Marine marksmanship is a fascinating subject.

• 2 weeks later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here's a few more I picked up: U.S. Marine Corps Quantico competitions of 1956 - .22 Aggregate Expert Class 2nd place, N.R.A Short Course Expert Class 2nd place, & 1957 Quantico Center Fire Team 1st place. post-133515-0-18570800-1394137341.jpg

• 1 month later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Added a San Diego trophy to the group. Still have to get a new Distinguished Pistol badge.... If anyone has any leads on some of the other shooting trophies, help a brother out! thanks!

post-133515-0-61484100-1399150989.jpg

Keep a sharp eye on eBay, the newer strikes seem to pop up rather regularly

I've been on a kick lately picking up the Blackinton awards encased in lucite

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Brig,

Is there any way to distinguish the older issues versus the newer ones?

Pinbacks seemed to be popular up to the 70's on these, unlike everything else in the military. And, of course, newer ones tend to be anodized

• 4 months later...

Alright guys, I know it's been awhile since I updated but I thought I'd give you a sneak peak of how the display is coming along. Tell me what you think! I have paper stand-ins for the ones I still need to get. But you can get a general idea how it will look. The two blank spots are for medals that are en route currently so I didn't bother doing paper images. Also, sorry for the low res, when I get a real camera, I will take a real photo!

post-133515-0-22525900-1410535526.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...