Experimental Desert 6 Color camo 1972 contract

matmil

As requested:

Material is 50% cotton/50% nylon and is medium weight-similar 80-90s chocolate chip uniforms

1. Side view, thigh pocket has center bellow-like RDF/Post war ERDL pants and reinforced knees

post-2368-1298840548.jpg

2. Reinforced seat

post-2368-1298840577.jpg

3. All pockets have button flaps

post-2368-1298840567.jpg

wow Matt!!! nice find, those boots are mint. This all come together?

Paul

It was all in a tub under a guys table, I just pulled out the shirt and noticed the style of pockets and then read the the tag. So, I started looking and pulled everything else out.

the rucksack cover is marked same as everything else, only the boots are unmarked. Only size "11R" and a "2" on the bottom of each boot

Matt

My wife would say I'm a boot whore and maybe she's right because when I saw those boots I lost my mind.

Outstanding score! :thumbsup:

Boots:

post-2368-1298837777.jpg

Nice group of stuff, but I would be suspicious of these boots. They look exactly like the Korean made desert boots from the 1990's, which were just copies of the Korean made jungle boots in tan instead of green. They had those distinctive red-brown soles and note that they have the vents on the side. If you look at the photos Craig posted of the original test desert boots from circa 1972, they do not have the vents...for obvious reasons.

Amazing, well done. I have to come to the show next year!!!

Paul

It was all in a tub under a guys table, I just pulled out the shirt and noticed the style of pockets and then read the the tag. So, I started looking and pulled everything else out.

the rucksack cover is marked same as everything else, only the boots are unmarked. Only size "11R" and a "2" on the bottom of each boot

Matt

Nice group of stuff, but I would be suspicious of these boots. They look exactly like the Korean made desert boots from the 1990's, which were just copies of the Korean made jungle boots in tan instead of green. They had those distinctive red-brown soles and note that they have the vents on the side. If you look at the photos Craig posted of the original test desert boots from circa 1972, they do not have the vents...for obvious reasons.

Man foiled by them crafty Koreans again !!!

I wasn't sure about boots when I bought them-but they were in the tub too. Any chance you could post a pic of the 90's Korean made Desert boots?

Man foiled by them crafty Koreans again !!!

I wasn't sure about boots when I bought them-but they were in the tub too. Any chance you could post a pic of the 90's Korean made Desert boots?

I'm afraid you already did. They look exactly like what you have and I don't have any pics handy...sorry bout that.

What is the camo "scarf" made from? It looks more like a Brit sniper veil printed with choco chip. The actual scarf produced to go with the DBDU was just plain brown knit cotton, like a T-shirt. There were small nylon camo nets produced in both woodland and desert, but I never saw anybody use them or knew anybody who was ever issued one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
airborne1968
I'm afraid you already did. They look exactly like what you have and I don't have any pics handy...sorry bout that.

What is the camo "scarf" made from? It looks more like a Brit sniper veil printed with choco chip. The actual scarf produced to go with the DBDU was just plain brown knit cotton, like a T-shirt. There were small nylon camo nets produced in both woodland and desert, but I never saw anybody use them or knew anybody who was ever issued one.

I have an issued mesh type cover titled: "cover, individual camo desert, class II, polyester" that looks just like the one MattD had with his set. It is still in the wrapper and is much larger so I'm not sure there is more than one piece here. The DLA is 100-90-F-EG12. I realize it is for Desert Storm and not the earlier period but it does exist and it was issued. I also have the t-shirt like rag that was also issued for the uniform but is dated for Desert Storm use.

As for the boots, I remember the "vents" being an issue discussed during Desert Storm. We were issued jungle boots, which had them and they fell out after wearing them for some time in the desert. During development of a replacement boot articles discussed eliminating the vents. I'm curious if that would mean the vents were still in place for any earlier boots originally designed for the first pattern DBDU (ERDL pattern)? On the flip side theire may not have been boots designed and that is why we were issued "jungle boots" for out deplyment.

• 2 weeks later...
airborne1968

[i have an issued mesh type cover titled: "cover, individual camo desert, class II, polyester" that looks just like the one MattD had with his set. It is still in the wrapper and is much larger so I'm not sure there is more than one piece here. The DLA is 100-90-F-EG12. I realize it is for Desert Storm and not the earlier period but it does exist and it was issued.]

post-4228-1310076471.jpg

post-4228-1310076479.jpg