Experimental Desert 6 Color camo 1972 contract

matmil

I posted these sometime ago, on a different forum, that went down. Anyway this is the earliest example of Des camo in 6 color that I own.

Special points to observe would be the central pleats to the pockets including those on the trousers.

The reinforcement to the elbow with the seam running down the middle of the reinforcement.

The tags, resemble those found on early Vietnam war erdl poplin camo jungle jackets and trousers, a cotton tag with printed info.

these tags indicate 1972 contract.

Matt

post-3202-1211340102.jpg

Wow! I didn't realize they went back that far. Any idea about their historical development? I myself would be interested to learn more.

Thanks for posting!

Wow! I didn't realize they went back that far. Any idea about their historical development? I myself would be interested to learn more.

Thanks for posting!

Yeah, that's pretty amazing this pattern was available during that time. I thought it was something developed much later in time for Desert Storm.

This is very interesting. I have production 6 Color that is dated 1982 and I knew the cammo was developed in the 1970's but I have never seen a dated garment. Thanks for sharing thumbsup.gif

Hi, yes the 1980's ealier style with the back flap, usually smaller white tags inside with dates of 1981, resemble the fist large production run of this camo garmnet. Though I have only seen the central pleat to the pocket on the 72 contract and the other BDU that i posted in the other thread, the special forces Airborne bdu.

Matt

Hi, yes the 1980's ealier style with the back flap, usually smaller white tags inside with dates of 1981, resemble the fist large production run of this camo garmnet. Though I have only seen the central pleat to the pocket on the 72 contract and the other BDU that i posted in the other thread, the special forces Airborne bdu.

Matt

Here is another early 1972 Contract 6 Color DCU.

post-264-1211418216.jpg

• 2 years later...

Very nice uniform. I have an early 6 color uniform packed away. It is dated 79. Included is a Nam style baseball cap in desert camo dated 78.

craig_pickrall

These are period government data sheets that give some insight to setting of standard specification acceptance dates. The uniform shown here with the 1972 date is probably from the last batch of test uniforms before the spec was set. They look like the standard uniform jacket as shown in the data sheet.

The dates range from 1971 to 1979.

Desert hat 1971

Desert uniform 1973

Night desert parka and liner 1973

Night desert trousers 1974

PABST (Kevlar) helmet cover 1979

post-5-1280935631.jpg

post-5-1280935640.jpg

post-5-1280935673.jpg

post-5-1280935685.jpg

post-5-1280935698.jpg

post-5-1280935705.jpg

These desert camo uniforms were originally designed in response to the Six-Day War based on the assumption that the US would have to become involved to defend Israel (something that almost happened in the Yom Kippur War).

All of the examples shown were produced at the Defense Personnel Support Center in Philadelphia (the old Pilly QM Depot), probably as part of a small production run for test and evaluation of the uniforms. The uniforms resurfaced again in 1981 for Bright Star, but redesigned along the lines of the then-new BDU's.

Those are some very nice and rare uniforms.

I had a set of this in mint condition, came with an M1 helmet cover in the pocket. Will dig some pictures out

helmet_cover.jpg

jacket.jpg

label.jpg

Was labeled Coat, Special Forces Airborne and had buttons inside for a liner

I had a set of this in mint condition, came with an M1 helmet cover in the pocket. Will dig some pictures out

helmet_cover.jpg

jacket.jpg

label.jpg

:w00t: :jeal0001: :jeal0001:

That is actually a different uniform. They were produced in the late 70's, have the buttons inside for a field coat liner and have shoulder loops.

Is the cover marked? I have a vague recollection of seeing these M1 covers in a surplus store way back when and they were marked like ERDL covers. I could be wrong about that, however.

craig_pickrall

I have several pair of experimental boots made in this same general time frame. Most of those used either the chevron sole from the black combat boot or a version of the Vibram sole. The only boot I know of that used the Panama sole was the jungle boot. It was because of the need for mud clearing feature that it was used on the jungle boot.

post-5-1281017485.jpg

post-5-1281017499.jpg

That is actually a different uniform. They were produced in the late 70's, have the buttons inside for a field coat liner and have shoulder loops.

Is the cover marked? I have a vague recollection of seeing these M1 covers in a surplus store way back when and they were marked like ERDL covers. I could be wrong about that, however.

Oh yes forgot about the shoulder loops. Almost like a lightweight field jacket, in between an M65 and a BDU.

The helmet cover did have ERDL like markings I seem to recall.

Funny thing is I offered this in the for sale section on this site a few years back and no one went for it. Odd huh as Its a rare beast.

Anyone have pictures of these in use?

• 6 months later...