Modified (Shortened) M-1910 Shovel

Persian Gulf Command

Persian Gulf Command

I would like to start a thread about the shortened M-1910 entrenching tool (Shovel). These have been attributed to being used primarily by the 82nd Airborne and some Marine Unites. The shovels were shortened to reduce weight and to facilitate greater safety for paratroopers during their jump and subsequent landing.

I am hoping others can add information and post period photos of these shovels being used by U.S. forces. Please post photos of your examples of these shortened shovels you have to add to this thread.

Here is the one I just received. The total length is 17 1/4” and the “T” handle is 4 1/8”. The spade was purposefully rounded eliminating the original pointed end of the blade. My assumption is that the metal flange at the handle was removed the wooden shaft was shortened and the shaft end was shaped to fit snugly against the curved profile of the “T” handle. It would appear that the rivets on the handle end were the ones that were reworked during the modification of the shovel. The modifications appear to have been done at a depot or other work facility where the proper tools were available to accomplish the task as all the parts still snug.

About 50% of the original OD paint is still present under a second darker green OD paint. This second layer of paint is still evident in the grain of the wood. My guess is that originally all the metal parts had been painted but not the wood. Perhaps after the modification process the shovel was painted completely with the second application of paint. This example would appear to have seen use in the field after the modifications were done.

Blade Face:

post-17994-0-91175900-1392825277.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Persian Gulf Command

Just trying to kick start this thread. Two photos of modified M-1910 shovels in use. The second is a well known photo of Col. Reuben H, Tucker of the 504th just before the Sicily jump.

post-17994-0-00715200-1394403964.jpg

post-17994-0-53855400-1394403986.jpg

That's a neat Shovel! I don't know if it's a lighting "trick" of some kind, but it looks like at some point in its life, it was painted in that forest-green shade that the Marines used on a lot of their hardware.

Interestingly, the padded Shovel Covers made for the Paramarines are cut in the rounded form identical to the blade on yours.

Heres a nice shorty i picked up at this years SOS....has bolts that are very well worn and period looking nuts with much smooth wear...not the prettiest modification but has nice honest wear and patina......mike

post-350-0-10603600-1394998776.jpg

jackconaway

That's a neat Shovel! I don't know if it's a lighting "trick" of some kind, but it looks like at some point in its life, it was painted in that forest-green shade that the Marines used on a lot of their hardware.

Interestingly, the padded Shovel Covers made for the Paramarines are cut in the rounded form identical to the blade on yours.

thats a very interesting observation, flage. i can also see the forrest green paint. and is is the exact same shape as the paramarine shovel covers. neat

Heres a nice shorty i picked up at this years SOS....has bolts that are very well worn and period looking nuts with much smooth wear...not the prettiest modification but has nice honest wear and patina......mike

That's a mod that will surely tear the crap out of your hand if you had to dig for any period of time. the nut and thread would rest right the joint where the fingers meet the palm.

That's a mod that will surely tear the crap out of your hand if you had to dig for any period of time. the nut and thread would rest right the joint where the fingers meet the palm.

im actually holding it right now and its really not that bad at all, one nut rests between the pinky and ring finger and it almost feels like it gives you more leverage and would prevent slipping....the nuts are very well worn and rounded on the exposed bolt stud end too....but then again im sitting in my comfortable helmet room not digging a foxhole in France somewhere!.....mike

Persian Gulf Command

I’m a ETO Airborne collector. Interesting observation about the Paramarine possibilities given the rounded blade and forest green color on my example. Any other opinions would be appreciated. I have seen a few examples of shortened M1910’s with the rounded blade so maybe these were used in the PTO.

im actually holding it right now and its really not that bad at all, one nut rests between the pinky and ring finger and it almost feels like it gives you more leverage and would prevent slipping....the nuts are very well worn and rounded on the exposed bolt stud end too....but then again im sitting in my comfortable helmet room not digging a foxhole in France somewhere!.....mike

comfortable holding it but I bet the crotch between the fingers will be sore and blistered like SOB after awhile. Anyone that's works with hand tools on a daily basis knows just minor anomalies like those bolts will surely wreak havoc by the end of the day.

• 7 years later...