U.S. Army Fatigue Clothing 1904 to 1919

world war I nerd

I took a spin though this topic again on a whim and was not disappointed. Really first rate stuff AustinO!

Thanks guys, was a really neat set to examine (denim was super soft not nearly as coarse as you'd expect). Would've been happy to own it but with a 5 figure price tag - that wasn't happening.

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys, was a really neat set to examine (denim was super soft not nearly as coarse as you'd expect). Would've been happy to own it but with a 5 figure price tag - that wasn't happening.

AustinO,

What a fantastic post! Are those suspender buttons on the trousers? Hard to see on my phone.

-Zach

AustinO,

What a fantastic post! Are those suspender buttons on the trousers? Hard to see on my phone.

-Zach

Yes there were suspender buttons on the trousers. All of the buttons were those japanned blackened early style buttons.

• 5 months later...

Hi from France
My latest find (from Quimper near Brest in France) ... these is a near mint brown fatigue hat 1918 dated ... I'm wondering what's worth this kind of item ...
20200216.jpg

20200215.jpg

20200214.jpg

Regards :)

Hello all, I am wondering if this may be a stable frock? It has flat instead of domed buttons and was made in Detroit. The buttons are stamped "quality" and something else, I need to be able to lift one better to read them. Came out of a military collection at a local museum. Thanks for any thoughts. Scott

post-104832-0-01678700-1582487488_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have any photos of men doing chores with mops or mop buckets or brooms? I recently helped out a family with an eminent domain property loaded with all of this WW1 stuff and all the shovels and workwear and brooms and all kinds of stuff. I didn't even realize honestly what it is. I am trying to educate myself the best I can so that I don't accidentally throw it away and so I can recover and preserve it all the best I can before the property is destroyed. It was an 1800s farmhouse hoarded to the gills. Mom and Dad in their 90s had dementia. The kids were older as well and couldn't get into the attics and barn crawl spaces anymore. After helping the family with about 8 tractor trailers of (fill in the blank) for lack of a better word) they had reached their limit of stuff they were willing and or able to haul with them across the country no matter how valuable. They said myself and my friend Doug who had helped them pack could keep whatever remained on the property before it was dozed. Which is a LOT. We just realized all of this stuff is WW1. There was a jewelry store on the property filled with WW1 and WW2 pins. There was uniforms, there is medals. There is work wear, work tools, boots, you name it. It was never thrown away. Any of it. Its a living museum. Please help. I know I am not a historian. I do work with antiquities but this is not my area of expertise and I am already sick over selling some of the clothing unknowingly to a man who ripped me off. I found some very historically significant suspenders that are made of indigo denim. I don't find anything historically that ever indicates anything like this was previously found before. Please help. Thank you. I just would like some photos of any men wearing suspenders that could be something like this, along with the brooms and mops and mop buckets. That would help me. Along with any photos that will help me identify items from this era when I see them to recover them from normal barn items that should be left. I can't take it all.