Navy insignia and rating badge lot

holdaas

Last two, not sure what they are. There were more items but they're all duplicates. Any help with identifying any of this stuff would be greatly appreciated.

post-104733-0-59095100-1394321541.jpg

post-104733-0-57701700-1394321543.jpg

Ben, the rating badges look o.k. to me. Are the chevrons padded? The 2 insignia look to be gun captain insignia (post 17,25). Also you have some middy or civilian insignia. The rating badges are worth more than what you paid.

The red prop may be a different sea service insignia.

RustyCanteen

I agree. A lot of that stuff is generic 'Navy' or 'Naval' themed embellishment for a civilian middy. Middies were extremely popular in the pre-WWII decades, especially so prior to WWI.

Here is an example of such middy 'rates' being worn by Katherine Stieglitz in a circa 1910 autochrome.

Katherine_Stieglitz_autochrome.jpg

via Wikipedia.

RustyCanteen

The 49th Aero Squadron patch should probably be reposted so experts in that field can look it over.

RC

Ben, the rating badges look o.k. to me. Are the chevrons padded? The 2 insignia look to be gun captain insignia (post 17,25). Also you have some middy or civilian insignia. The rating badges are worth more than what you paid.

The red prop may be a different sea service insignia.

I spoke with my wife, it appears that the chevrons are not padded.

I spoke with my wife, it appears that the chevrons are not padded.

I don't know if padded was the correct term but they do usually feel a little thicker in the chevron area and especially on the back of the rates in the chevron area. From the pics they look o.k.

The color is odd, why would it be in this color?

This prop was used by UK 40-50's and Chile 70's Yours is much earlier I would look at several foreign navies.

John